Normal rooster behavior and which is going to be better?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SevenChix4Me, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SevenChix4Me

SevenChix4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I am new at this and recently added two roosters to my flock of 9 hens. I need help figuring out if one might be behaving better or more naturally then the other. Currently I have three 1 year old white/orange Americaunas hens laying daily, 2 - 3 month old Barred Rock hens, 1 - 3 month old Black Copper Marans hen and 3 - 12 week old black copper marans hens. Both roos are also Marans. The head rooster is a beautiful golden color. He's about 3 months old. I've only seen him climb on one hen so far but he is still immature. I have read comments on normal rooster behavior such as watching for predators, calling girls over for treats etc and I am wondering if my handsome 3 month old roo is a dud or just immature. Instead of keeping an eye out over the girls and the yard he will sun himself, eat and sleep. I have seen him toss around a couple treats until one of the laying hens came over and took it but I have also seen him go after another younger hen that was interested in a piece of red bell pepper that he had. He took it away and chased her. I have also seen him chase other hens away from food. :eek:( He hasn't been aggressive toward us. He is cautious and stays just out of arms reach. He seems to favor the laying Americauna hens and occasionally chases or pulls feathers on the younger hens.
    The other rooster is a black copper marans rooster. he is only 12 weeks old and I brought him in with the 3 12 week old black copper marans pullets. He is a handsome little guy as well and seems much more concerned about his hens even at this early age. The Americauna hens tend to chase the younger hens away from food so I have several feeding stations to avoid this. One hen in particular is a bit of a bully and when the other hens mature enough to lay we will probably be eating her. Right now I only have three layers though. She tried picking on the three 12 week old BCM pullets and the little 12 week old roo went after her, pulled her feathers and made her squawk. None of them pick on the smaller roo now including the large roo and they have also left the little hens alone for the most part. The younger roo seems a lot more alert and aware of what is going on around him. He is als cautious about us and stays out of our reach. When my daughter picked up the 12 week old hens to try to gentle them a little the 12 week old roo pecked her hand and leg. She picked him up then just to show him she could and he pecked her hand then relented. When I picked him up he obviously didn't like it but he didn't fight me. He just stared at me. While I really like how he is with his hens, I am worried he will be aggressive with my kids as he gets older.
    Any advice on which of these attitudes will make a better rooster? For now they can both stay since they don't bother each other. Just curious if their personalities are going to be the same as they mature?

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

You said the "older" roo is three months old. Then you said the "younger" roo is 12 weeks old. Three months and 12 weeks is the same age. If the older roo is only three months old, he sounds like he needs some time to grow up and mature. In the other roos favor is that he was a part of a family of pullets already, so he knows them and they know him, which gives him the home court advantage.

3. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My rooster was an angel until he turned 1; and when he turned 4 he went through a sort of "midlife crisis" and got really out of hand. So I don't think you'll be able to tell their adult personalities for quite a while yet. The lazy cockerel may just have his hormones kicking in at a slower rate than the other one (as is happening in my own pullet/cockerel flock--mine are 17 weeks old and two of them are just now starting to show male behavior). Also I wonder if maybe the "good rooster behaviors" are somewhat influenced by whichever cockerel is the dominant one?

4. SevenChix4Me

SevenChix4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    lol It's been that kind of a week. I must have 3 months stuck on the brain. Sorry the "12 week old" pullets and rooster are just 8 weeks old. The 8 week old rooster is maybe half the size of the older rooster and seems to have a lot more confidence and swagger. The other one just looks lazy to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by