Normal rooster feet? Im so clueless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MindiWynne, Jan 21, 2018.

1. MindiWynne

MindiWynne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2017
    Brookville, Ohio
    My rooster had a black foot that he was favoring, so I out a post and asked advice from several.locations. the general consensus was bumblefoot, so I soaked him in Epsom salts and sure enough, the scab magically appeared. So I cleaned it and have been soaking him in Epsom baths twice daily, then spraying with Vetricyn and Microcyn. So today is the end of day 3, and his swollen foot looks better, but the other foot is starting to look flaky and pasty. Can someone please tell me if any of this looks ok? 20180121_190332.jpg 20180121_190332.jpg 20180121_190229.jpg

Attached Files:

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there any possibility his legs may have been frozen or frost bitten ?

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Not bumblefoot that I can see. Looks to be a combo of a really bad case of scaly leg mites (due to the very raised and missing scales, which is not something I've seen caused by frostbite) and probably frostbite.

You need to treat for the mites. You can either do that by slathering his legs up with vaseline daily to smother them out, which will take a week or so, or you can treat him with ivermectin pour on which will kill them. And you'll need to do the rest of the flock too because if he has the rest almost certainly do as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Previously [email protected] Premium Member

Yes I was thinking of frostbite as well. But what do I know I just know people medicine. It certainly looks like a case of frostbite to my eye.

I would be trimming those spurs though while you have him, so he doesn't harm anyone.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like pretty significant frostbite to me. I think she may possibly lose a few roes, but hopefully her feet will remain intact. You are doing exactly what I would do with Epsom salts soaks and Vetericyn after drying them. Time will tell how much tissue she could lose, but I think she should be okay. I would put some vaseline or Crisco shortening onto the legs, and rub it into the loosened scales. Good luck.

6. MindiWynne

Jun 26, 2017
    Brookville, Ohio
    Would it be frostbite if hes never been outside? All my chickens live in a barn. It has been -14 recently, but they have a heatlamp and havent been outside.

7. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Previously [email protected] Premium Member

I can only say that is how it appears.

ButtonquailGirl14 and N Sully like this.
  8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    How's the ventilation in the barn? Does it get below freezing?

ButtonquailGirl14 and N Sully like this.
  9. MindiWynne

Jun 26, 2017
    Brookville, Ohio
    I suppose jt could, they have heated water thingies so its hard to tell. And I put LOTS of straw on the floor. I kinda hope it is frostbite because Ive started reading about the scaly lite thing and its totally scaring me!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  10. micstrachan

micstrachan Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I feel pretty confident we’re looking at frostbite. What is on the floor if the barn and what do they use for roosts? Have read a couoke posts lately of frostbite from a concrete floor in a garage. I think you are handling it well. I agree you should probably address the scaly leg mites, as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by