Normal that my EE stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sigmachigirl, Dec 17, 2013.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Hi there, we have a gorgeous EE who is now 35 weeks old, and she stopped laying for us just after Thanksgiving, right around when it started getting really dark and much cooler. We live in the Pacific Northwest. We don't keep a lamp on them, the occasional heat lamp for an hour after it goes dark, but that is it. This is our first year with eggs. Do you think she's okay? Coop is clean but dark with only one window, she's talkative and curious, and very active. I had cut my thumb badly at the beginning of November and wasn't out with them and a few were obviously not happy with me. (Imagine them giving me the bird with their tail feathers...). Our orpington has slowed, as has our silkie. Wasn't sure if I should be worried. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

All is normal by mid January she will start again I am only
    getting egg's from my EE's because of the extra light
    but you have one good looking lady there ......

gander007[​IMG]

3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Thank you! I was hoping to treat a neighbor to a 6 pack of pretty blue eggs, but oh well. She is my sassy inquisitive girl. Likes to chat me up when I clean up the coop. :)

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Oh yes EE's do love their pets to feed and take care of them
    I do believe they are about the most attentive owners I've
    ever had ........

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Rotfl!! Sounds like what we have going on here too! Love my Gracie girl.

6. pegm

pegm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Northern California
    I have 2 EE's, and one lays 2 eggs every 3 days, and the other should start any time as she has been squatting for a couple of weeks now. They are both sweet, but Goldie is a character. She has to tell me all about laying her egg, half the day she talks about it. And sometimes she talks almost like a dog will talk, that waaaar waaaar waaaar sound like my sheltie does when she has been told to stop barking, it's kind of a mumbled "last word" she has to get in a she walks away. Cracks me up when either of them do it, dog or chicken. Just didn't expect that sound out of a chicken.

7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Your lady is fine, like gander007 said. Winter daylight hours are not enough to make a hen produce about an egg a day, and I've even noticed that some stop for a while. It's a nice break from work for them.[​IMG]

I have an EE that will sometimes make a turkey sound. [​IMG]

8. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    heehee! Gracie does that too! she says "Brrrr brrr brrr brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr??????" the ending gets higher pitched like she's asking questions. usually involves her looking at me quizzically, and scratching around where I'm scooping to clean the coop. :) "What are you doing? Are you going to be done sooooooon? Is there food over thereeeeee? I want to lay an egg. Are you going to clean this toooooooo?" She has such a sweet personality. Like you said, has to have the last word... And she comes to her name. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by