Normal voice change or sick birds? VIDEO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msviolaceous, Jul 1, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    My chicks were hatched around April 25. Ever since they started to make more grown-up noises, they have sounded raspy or whistly, not like full blown clucks. The only one who doesn't do this is the one who still peeps full time (her name is Peep even). I chalked it up to a normal growing up thing, like a teenager's voice change, but it has occured to me to worry that they might have some kind of irritation or infection.

Here's video of one of them talking to me: http://static.photobucket.com/playe...s/v472/Msviolaceous/2011-07-01_16-47-55_3.mp4

2. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Please, can someone just watch the video and tell me if this is normal? [​IMG]

3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    This sounds just like my 14 week olds did when they hit 10 weeks. Pretty sure they are fine and this is normal. Their voices change slowly from peep to cluck. I think that's the reason roosters who are young sound SO AWFUL trying to crow at first! lol

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Its hard to tell with I assume you talking in the video, but what I can hear of the chick sounds normal. I hear nothing that sounds like a sick rasp or whistly breath or sneezes, or respitory honks - those noises that your chicky is making sound like actual communicative noises.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by