Normal vs abnormal chicken poop

OsterbergFarms

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
IMG_3351.JPG
I've looked over some links of chicken poo from other threads but am having trouble determining if what I have here is normal or not. I know you guys are amazingly knowledgeable and have great advice. Thanks!

View attachment 1044405 I've looked over some links of chicken poo from other threads but am having trouble determining if what I have here is normal or not. I know you guys are amazingly knowledgeable and have great advice. Thanks!
Do your birds have access to any dark-berry bushes (blackberries, blueberries, ect.) ? I've heard of people's chickens getting into dark-berry bushes, and it has dyed their poop black. But as I was observing the pic, I saw a red, fleshy thing next to the poop; maybe parasites.... I'm not sure exactly, but I do advise scanning the area where you bird hang out to see if there is any dark-berry bushes!

Our chicks are 15 weeks old and still exclusively on medicated chick starter. They are not allowed to free range due to city ordinances. They do eat the bugs and grass in their run but no berries. The red spots are what prompted me to be a bit concerned.

I have looked at way more chicken poop pictures today than I ever expected, lol. Since I don't see any signs of illness I'll continue to just wait and keep watch.

The chicks have been carrying on as usual. I think you're right that it was lining and common. Now I know :). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom