Normal white brahma rooster growth?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amandajo, Apr 28, 2017.

1. amandajo

amandajo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    So since this white brahma "hen" turned out to not be a hen but a rooster.....hes really started growing. I have never raised these before and was wondering if this big chest is normal or does he have like a tumor or something.....lol I know he's in a super ugly phase right now bc he picks on the bigger hens and they have been rough with him. He's now been moved back inside so I can handle him more and make sure he doesn't end up a huge mean roo! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    that is his crop that you are referring to, if you mean the bulge. It bulges it out like that when they are full.

3. amandajo

Apr 22, 2017
    Lol well I feel like a dummy. He just always walks so funny and is sticking his chest out that it looks so much bigger then all the other chicks and made me think something was wrong with him....

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Don't worry. A lot of people freak out or worry about it.

5. amandajo

Apr 22, 2017
    And it might be bc the other hens have really beat him up. I had to wait until my small batch of hens were big enough to go out to my big coop before i could bring him back inside bc he wouldve beat them up....lol I wasn't prepared for a boy yet.....

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I've had three Light Brahmas over the past year. All were boys and all were aggressive, picking fights even when they were little chicks. They were from three different shipments of assorted chicks. Needless to say, they are no longer with the flock. I have found that males like that also tend to tear up the hens more.

7. amandajo

Apr 22, 2017

This is why he's been moved inside to give him a chance to tame down. I Also plan on making a smaller "bachelor" coop and pen for my.roosters. I will have three and want to be able to separate them from the girls and each other if needed.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by