Normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Birdie-Baby, May 29, 2016.

1. Birdie-Baby

Birdie-Baby Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi, I'm new here and a new chicken owner. I bought 10 baby chickens (wanted 5 but was told several might die so I got 10). They all seem to be doing well. They are between 2-3 weeks old but a couple of them started pooping and it looks like there might be blood in the poop. One of my sexlinks just pooped and it looks like it could be a mini egg without a shell and possibly blood in it. Is that normal? And how old are they before they start to prepare to lay? I thought it was closer to 6 months so I'm concerned. They all act normal

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Welcome, a photo could help. Any blood should be considered bad. Are you sure it's blood and not being colored by diet? Chicks will usually poop the color of the feed for a few weeks, than it becomes separated, the white is usually urine, well, bird urine, and it's mixed with poop which is the other color. The two are together but separate in a poop. Blood in the poop usually means cocidiosis, but most will show other symptoms like lethargy and not eating. So if they are acting fine odds are that they are.

3. Birdie-Baby

Birdie-Baby Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm trying to upload a photo now. It's not showing up so if I post duplicates, I apologize.

4. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I hope it does not resemble this image... :/

5. Birdie-Baby

Birdie-Baby Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Indiana
    Ugh, I keep trying to post it but it keeps just bringing me vback here after I hit post and it's not showing up but it doesn't look quite that bad but it does have that kind of red blob in it. I'll continue to try and upload

6. Birdie-Baby

Birdie-Baby Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Indiana
    the food I give them is brown. It's the chicken starter medicated feed

7. Birdie-Baby

Birdie-Baby Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

8. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    NOT normal...

9. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, there's a problem.

10. Birdie-Baby

Birdie-Baby Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Indiana
    Ok thanks. I'll get some stuff to treat cocci. That's what my research is leaning towards. I love my little chick. I really would hate to lose any

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by