1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrazyBlaize, Nov 3, 2016.

1. CrazyBlaize

CrazyBlaize Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2016
    Wichita, ks
    Our first duck! Love this dog, er,I ran duck. He has started growing his feathers and seems a bit odd to us. Pic attached. Look normal to you guys?[​IMG]

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    It's looks ok, I think those are pinfeathers coming out. A better picture would help[​IMG]

3. CrazyBlaize

Sep 29, 2016
    Wichita, ks
    [​IMG]

He's ready for bed lol so that's as good a pic I will get tonight.

Also, was wondering about the breed of duck he may be. I got him from a feed store and of course the high schooler had no clue.

Thanks again! I do love the people of this site and all the knowledge.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks like a darling duckling! Pekin, maybe.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Most likely pekin....
    He will get little pokey things on his wings called a pinfeather (google it for pics) and they will eventually "pop" open into a feather

6. CrazyBlaize

Sep 29, 2016
    Wichita, ks
    He has 2 older sisters that happen to be chickens. They occasionally peck at these pinfeathers. Are they being mean or helping? He loves them and even acts as a pillow for them. Hubby says he seems to quack in pain when the peck. [​IMG]

7. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If they are pecking occasionally they are probably just being curious. I wouldn't worry about that. If they are pecking hard and/or pulling the feathers that's not good. I wouldn't let them do that.

If your duck is actually a drake (male) then you need to be careful when it matures. Chicken and duck anatomy is not the same and a drake can hurt a chicken hen if he tries to mate her. If your duck is actually quacking (not peeping) then that means its a hen. Only females quack. Drakes make a raspy noise.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Chickens can be mean little things though, so be careful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by