Normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RedBrush Farm, Jul 13, 2011.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I have never incubated duck eggs before. I purchased 20 Pekin eggs from e-bay. I heated the hovabator for 24 hours prior to the eggs arriving. I had them in 25 days at 99.2 degrees and humidity between 50 and 60 percent. On day 25 I placed them in another hovabator that had been heating 24 hours and they have been on lock down at 99.2 degrees and 75 percent humidity. Tomorrow will be the third day on lock down and I have not heard a peep! Literally!!! I raise other types of birds and always see them moving or hear them before the third day. Is no noise or movement normal for duck? I'm getting worried.... Should I take one out and candle it? or leave things alone.

Any help appreciated.

B.K. - Missouri

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    If it's the still air type, 99.2 is a little low and they're likely just running a bit behind.

Did you candle when you transferred them to know how many "should" hatch?

Don't panic until day 30 if you are using the still air type of incubator. I'm not sure about the one with the fan. I get them right on schedule with my temp at 100.5-ish in the still air.

3. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    My incubators have fans. Do I need to up the temp.? The person I purchased from said he sold no eggs over 2 days old and then 2 days to get to me. It was hot while they were being shipped. So they can go as much as 30 days? I did not candle the eggs. I was wanting to get them moved as quickly and quietly as possible. They were also in an egg rotation tray the first 25 days.

??[​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It won't hurt a thing to go ahead and candle. Since none of them have pipped yet, the humidity change won't matter, and you won't have them out long enough to cool. Just open it up, take a few out, and candle. That will either set your mind at ease, or at least end your suspense. Good luck!!

5. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    People never believe me when I tell them this but I have had Pekins take as long as 36 days to hatch and Muscovies take as long as 44 days to hatch. I write the dates down on my calendar so I know that I am not crazy. It can be very frustrating sometimes. My chicken eggs always hatch right around 21 days like they should but for some reason, my ducks like to drag things out.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I've had chickens take 28 days before, when I had an uncalibrated thermometer. That was a rough week! If these are shipped eggs though, the problem may lie in the transit part, as well as a long list of other variables. Give them time, candle 3 and see what's happening. At this stage you may not see movement since it's a tight fit for them, but the egg should be blacked out mostly with chick.

Did you do a day 7 candling to see how many were viable?

Shipped eggs have a whole other list of issues. Did you candle before setting them to check air sacs and yolks? The box and shell may look perfect, but the eggs inside can have dislodged air sacs and ruptured yolks.

7. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I took eggs out to candle last night. Most are clearly "full" with no beaks in the air pocket. I did not see any movement. As full as the eggs look I don't know how they COULD move. Some of them appear to be semi clear with spots? Should I take those out? I did not candle them at anytime before this because I was afraid to take them out of the incubator.

All info. appreciated.

Thanks everyone - this is such a friendly site. I'm glad I found you all.[​IMG]

Waiting sure is intensive - Wasn't expecting to get "attached" to eggs!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by