Normally sweet pullet is biting me! - Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chuckzoo, Dec 2, 2010.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I have four chickens, two BR that are now almost 2 yrs old and two beautiful Buff Rocks that are 29 weeks. One of the buff Rocks, Rose has started to bite me and try to hold on!

They would both give a quick peck from time to time when I am in the run but I put that down to curiosity. Rose is now biting in an aggressive manner and raising her neck feathers when she does. Why is she doing this and how do I put a stop to it without scaring her?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hm. I've only had problems with that when my hens are broody [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Sounds like a broody hen to me.

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I had a bit of an aggressive hen a while back. She was a POL Andalusian pullet.....she was actually following me around and trying to bite me. It was a full on fight if I tried to grab her or stop her. I don't put up with that junk, so I sold her. She was very friendly as a young chick but grew up to be downright ornery. She wasn't just biting me if I happened across her......she would see me and come over and try to get close enough to bite. I had to be extra cautious leaning down to collect eggs as she was always up on the table threatening on jump on my head.

Good riddance.

See if your girl grows out of it. Egg laying hormones can make them a bit whacky.

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:She is only 29 weeks and hasn't started laying yet. She is still friendly as she will come and get on my lap but then bites. I mean bite not peck as she will hold on and twist her beak.

She got on my lap this afternoon and then bit me on the chin!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It might help to grab her when she does that, and hold her on the ground- make her crouch low or lie there with your hands over her.

No chicken lets another chicken peck and bite without doing something in return unless they are lower down in the pecking order.

Show her you are higher.

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I have a broody that has never been real friendly. She now bites every time I get close. Kind of cute actually.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have a few who will peck me or pull at my clothes if I don't hold them and pet them. They are spoiled rotten girls. They even fight and peck each other for attention from people. Otherwise it is usually a broody hen that is nasty.

9. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't think I've been bitten on purpose, just when my toes looked tasty... anyway, since you said that she is near to laying, could it just be teenage angst? I know the two pullets that I have had (both EEs) during that transition time went through a grouchy period. Now they are friendly like they were when we had just gotten them (maybe even more so for one of them). [​IMG] Time will tell. In the meantime I'd protect tender bits and be wary. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by