North Alabama

SalemD

Hatching
Jan 16, 2019
I've been searching everywhere and i'm getting mixed answers. I'm not from Alabama but I plan on moving there for my company in Huntsville. I don't mind longer commutes to work (45 mins). I'm looking for any advice so I can find a location to call home in a surrounding town that is Fowl-Friendly. We have 20 chickens and ducks, to include 1 roo. Any help would be appreciated!

Good luck, and welcome to BYC.

First, look up the county rules. There should be a county webpage. Or counties if you are considering a few locations within driving distance to your job. Often, the rules/ordinances are listed. If not, call the county office to ask. Also, you can call the agricultural extension office in the county you are considering. They may point you to the info you want. By calling and talking to these people, you can also get a sense of how helpful/knowledgeable they are and attitude towards backyard chickens.

Next, any town/city will have their own rules, often listed on their websites. HOAs you might want to avoid too, but some HOAs do allow some chickens/small animals for the purpose of kids in 4-H.

I’m in Ohio, and we looked at the county website and the township websites. These were helpful, but had little info bc the nearby city has its own restrictions. We are outside of the city limits, so those rules don’t apply and the township has no restrictions specifically.

Good luck!

I have looked into the counties but had trouble finding what I was looking for. I know what HOAs are and I belong to one... that doesn't care about chickens.

I am in Afghanistan so web works best and phone calls don't. Therefor I wasn't looking for a "how to look this up" type answer but more of an answer from somebody from around the Huntsville area. Also, you find several different answers on Huntsville's city limits since it's a hot topic/battle for chicken owners down there.

Back
Top Bottom