North Carolina ban to Kill Numerous Breeds

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pirtykitty, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Ridiculous.

Having worked in a vet office I've seen many more vicious chihuahua's and Min Pin's than I have of those breeds listed.

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Signed the petition. Thanks for sharing!

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I second that. All of the informed "top ___ aggressive dogs" list by TRAINERS are mostly toys!

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    http://blessthebullys.wordpress.com/
    is
    a more unbiased article. The idea is still in planning stages, with a discussion to take place on Dec 5. There is a movement to limit the number of these dogs that will be adopted out to the public because rescues are overflowing. Some of the ideas being put forward by animal advocates include a background check on people who want to adopt rotties, pits, chows, etc. Most of the breeds listed in the original article posted are NOT being considered.

Sadly, over-hyped articles like this tend to work against people opposing the legislation. The people being flooded with emails are going to just toss complaints that have no basis in fact causing them to look on everyone mailing as uninformed at best.

It's not just because they consider the breeds to be aggressive, but that they realize that the people seeking to adopt these breeds are generally not the type that should own them, allowing them to wander at will and not providing training.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I don't agree with putting down any of those breeds except one......................... The pit bull, Myself and my family & our little house dog have been on the recieving end of this breeds vicious temper numerous times. I think the other breeds should be spared, but the Pit ............ It wouldn't bother me one bit if there wasn't single one left on the face of the planet. I know it's a touchy subject and the pit bull owners are sure to chime in on their behalf, But when it comes to my families safety well nothing is sacred. It's ashamed an otherwise normal dog was bred to be a menace, I know I owned one many many years ago as a companion dog and he turned bad real bad in just a year, so I speak from first hand experience. Anyway JMHO not intended to offend anyone.

6. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    That makes me sick. How ridiculous, why judge a dog by a breed? They should judge dogs individually.

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    most the time it's not the breed of dog it's how the dog was raised. I had a toy dog that would beat my pitt bull all the time in play. The pitt didnt hurt the toy dog ever, same with my sisters mixed toy and my king shepard. Except that my sisters dog wasnt playing and really beat the snot outta my king a few times, but the king never did anything back to the toy dog.

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    the funny thing is, the pit bull is the only dog on the list NOT bred to be human aggressive. [​IMG] Even GSDs, which are NOT being considered in the mandate, are bred to have civil aggression.
    Of course, most people in the world wouldn't recognize a pit bull anyway. Not to mention that there is really no such thing as a "pitbull" it's a term used to lump in 3 different distinct breeds as well as anything that looks similar

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I love my bully dog and the ones I have had in the past. I have gotten all my dogs from shelters and am very glad to have done so. It would be a shame for a nice pitty to be put down while they try to adopt out some nasty little yappy dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by