north dakota gal new to chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bethtista, Feb 10, 2015.

1. bethtista

bethtista Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    I'm in ND and am worried about the water situation in my coop. I will be getting chickens tomorrow. I am thinking of buying a heated base for the waterer but all waterers i've looked at even dog bowls they only work till 10 degrees. Even the heated dog bowl I have for the outdoor cat stops working at temps below zero, at that point cat goes in garage.
    Do you put the chickens inside when it starts dipping that far below the donut or do you just keep up the water supply when it freezes?
    Thanks!

2. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    One question I have is are the full grown chickens or chicks? If they are chicks they will need a heat lamp for sure. If acclimated full grown chickens do fine below zero if in a dry draft free area. The water if can't keep thawed will have to bring inside at night. Hope this helps:) welcome to byc.

3. bethtista

bethtista Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    I will have chicks soon but I have an inside brooder for them. I am just worried what to do as adults. I'll probably just bring them back to the brooder then.

4. Dorothy041250

Dorothy041250 New Egg

Jul 12, 2014
    I have a large heated dog dish I use in my insulated coop (an old greenhouse for now) and it does not freeze as long as I keep it full. it will frost around the edges a bit but it still works ok. I am in Northern Mn and it has dipped down to 20 below and they are doing fine. I have 5 That I got spring 2014 and getting 4-5 eggs/day so far, sometimes 3 but mostly 4-5. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by