1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

north dakota??

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by shadowpaints, Nov 20, 2010.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    hubby was recently offered a job in North Dakota... around bismark actually. the job is going to bring in enough income that he could fly home when ever he wanted... but im kinda thinkin moving there might be an option. of course, this wouldnt happen for another 6 months or so... but i just wanted to see what other people that live there think!
    thanks!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We did a move sort of like that just over ten years ago. It will depend on a number of things. Like how independent are you? Does he trust you and you him? Can he take care of himself, like cook and clean? Are you willing to do the bulk of the packing and moving prep? That is the first things I can think of. It is not the easiest thing to do, but it can be done. Moving near the job is the only reasonable thing to do in the long run. It will always be cheaper to live together.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I forgot to say congratulations on the job. Way to go!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My DD use to live in Minot and I would fly up to stay with her a few weeks at a time. We drove down into Bismark area once. I liked ND, winters can be brutal but I loved it.

5. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    right now, he is gone 6-8 weeks and home for 2 nites and its been like 3 years of that ( i HATE IT) although i can do it.. i do 90% of the things around here when he is gone .

i could do all the packing on my own... or mostly on my own

the biggest thing is, that i am tired of always being so far from him, and that would be the reason we would move, so we could see eachother more often

thanks!

ps
    brutal winters arent a issue, i dont mind the snow one bit!

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Do you have children or are you planning to? If you are, I can tell you that it can be really hard on kids not seeing one parent for extended lengths of time. It can be hard on a marriage, too. If you have already been through three years of that, you probably already know.

The brutal part of winters isn't the snow, it's the temperatures and windchill. The plus side is that it's more of a dry cold, so it isn't as bad as it could be. The whole state is very rural, but around Bismarck you wouldn't be as isolated. Folks here tend to be very laid back, and until the oil started bringing in people crime was very low (a murder anywhere in the state made front page news). Still not too bad, but it's on the rise.

I grew up in PA, joined the military, and my last base before ND was Guam. I was sent from the 'tropics to the arctic' and to be honest, I love it here. I hate the long winters, but really appreciate spring! There are a lot of military folks who retire and stay here.

If DH takes the job, why don't you come visit and see what you think? Then you have something to go on to help with your decision...

7. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    we do have kids, 2 girls (5 and 6)

the whole reasoning to moving there would be so that we could see each other more often

8. Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Kalkaska, Michigan
    We moved 7 years ago from NH to MI, due to a custody battle, my husband was out here a whole 11 months without me. It was so hard to be seperated. My advice, do your research, find out as much as you can about the area. How much is the rent/mortgage, how is the quality of the schools, where are the grocery stores, etc. The more information you have the better decision you can make, plus it makes your new home seem less daunting when you have a lot information on it. We love it here and I wouldn't change a thing. I wish you luck in whatever choice you make, home is being with your loved ones , not a particular place. [​IMG]

9. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I am just south of there really just down hwy 281!! I love South Dakota and there isn't much difference in weather. I moved form the city to the country a few years back and that was my big sacrafice for love, but it is so much better now. I gave up a decent job after our 4th child to stay home and save the daycare and be closer to him/family so I completely understand that. I would do it over again, of course I have a better job and closer now so the sacrafice paid off for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by