North of 49

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wanabeefarmer, Feb 13, 2012.

1. wanabeefarmer

wanabeefarmer New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    Looking forward to input for my newly acquired old Brower 845 / 11400-3 bator. Picked up some hatching eggs and want to try my hand at doing something the hens do naturally. Any first hand experience with that bator would be very welcomed.My flock consists mostly of RIR but just picked up a Cockoo Maran and a hen that looks like a RIR but with a 'tuft' on her head.Also found out that the new rooster is a lover and a fighter and the old rooster is just a lover. Now what ? I cleaned him up and isolated them but not sure how to proceed. This thread will branch out I am sure and look forward to the experience this great site has to offer.
    I have 3 horses/2 llamas/3 dogs/2cats and of course 19 chickens to keep my spare time occupied when I am not trying to support them with my two jobs lol :)
    Cheers from the wannabeefarmer

2. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!!

3. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I'm using a Brower 845 right now with my very first incubating experience. I borrowed it from a friend because I really wanted to hatch some silkie eggs. I can say the Brower definately needs you to keep an eye on it. You might look up a couple of threads about the Brower where others have shared some great advice and photos. By the way, I'm on Day 17...with 10 out of 12 fertile eggs still going.

Here are a few observations I can make:
    -Mine is still air. Thus, there are extreme temperature variations both at different height levels and different areas around the bator.
    -The section under the "window" and heating unit are cold spots and eggs will be too cold to develop in that area. (I believe one of my chicks died on Day 10 because it was in a cool spot for too long.)
    -I use a floor thermometer and a thermometer on top of the eggs because there is often a 5 degree difference in temperature.
    -The temperatures fluctuate and need to be re-set after you open the unit and sometimes on it own. Plan about 1/2 hour of watching and regulating the heating screw several times a day.
    -It will take a while to get any humidity in the bator when regulating because alot gets absorbed into the fiberboard bottom and ceiling first. I did a "dry" incubation and only added water when humidity dropped to 20. Now, I added damp paper towels on the floor because the aircells are plenty big and I want the chicks to have enough humidity to move around in the egg.

-I'm actually moving the eggs to a different incubator (HovaBator) tomorrow at lockdown. The reason is mainly so we can "watch" the chicks hatch. The hovabator seems to have more even temperatures and better humidity so far as I'm regulating it for tomorrows transfer. Good luck with your Brower. It's old, but can be used if you have the time to dedicate to it.

4. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    This was sort of my original setup. Someone suggested I arrange the eggs in an arch (rainbow with 2 levels) around the top of the bator so the eggs could be in the warm spots. Avoid the lower area under the window and heat light...they stay cool. I also got a reptile thermometer that shows the temperature to the tenth degree for on-top of the eggs. Happy Hatching [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. wanabeefarmer

wanabeefarmer New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    thx Cali Chick

I have had my bator plugged in for 5-6 hrs with nothing in it and it seems to be set at 106-107 at a constant.
    As another poster relayed,I was sure the thing was going to burn down the house it looks so old.
    The thermometer is actually on top of the unit outside lol
    Wasn't sure where it went. Newbie .
    I will put it inside on a block of wood to simulate the middle of the egg.

Ideal is 102 I think for this particular one from what I have read.

How much difference was there in temp in yours from MT to full at the same setting ? Based on average top and bottom temps?

Will put the thermometer inside now and monitor.

Right to decrease and left to increase ?

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi Wannabee, and welcome to BYC from norther Michigan :D

Come on over and join us for the Easter hatch, lots of folks there with tons of hatching experience - see my signature line below for the link

7. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by