1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

North Texas and egg-laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ccabal, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi Folks,
    question for folk in the DFW/North Texas area... My chickens just started laying eggs a couple weeks ago, and I was wondering, can I expect production to continue into the winter, especially here in Texas where winters are mostly mild? Are the shorter days the bigger factor, or is it temperatures? Should I consider setting up some lights to "extend the daylight"?

Thanks!

Christian

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You might want to try posting in the Texas threads in the Where Am I Where Are You board for a better chance of your fellow Texans seeing your thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you Light is the big factor in chickens laying, in general most need 14-16 hours of light to lay. Temperatures shouldn't make much difference unless they are so extreme they stress the birds.

3. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Ok, so if my egg laying slows down it might be worth setting up some lights on a timer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by