Northeast Alabama predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenchichi, Jun 24, 2016.

1. chickenchichi

chickenchichi Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    McDonough, GA
    I live on Noccolula Mt in Gadsden and I want to predator proof my coop. I know I need to account for raccoons, opossums, and foxes, but are there any other predators like mongooses I should be worried about? We also have Red-Tailed Hawk in abundance, but I've heard they won't attack a standard sized chicken.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I live North of you in the Big Bend of the Tennessee River so I am well familiar with all the vermin that your chickens will attract. Look for Coons, Possums, Skunks, Red Foxes, Gray Foxes, Coyotes, Wild Cats a.k.a. Bobcats, Mink, Weasels, Cooper Hawks, Sharp Shinned or Blue Darter Hawks, Great Horned or "Hoot" Owls, Red Tail Hawks, Black Bears, Golden & Bald Eagles, Domestic Dogs, and the ever elusive La Chupacabra. Small, Bantam sized, and baby chickens are also prey to Crows, Snakes, and maybe even a Blue Jay or two. Chickens are also never totally safe if a Domestic House Cat is on the prowl. If this list seems daunting don't let it get you down, A well constructer pen, run and coop will protect for everything except a Black Bear and of course La Chupacabra. Though I am happy to say that I have never lost a bird to La Chupacabra although Black Bears are making a comeback in your area now thinks in part to poor discussion making by the Alabama Department of Conservation.

What ever you paid for the advise about standard sized chickens being safe from Red Tail Hawk attacks was too much money, demand a refund. The cute little bird in your avatar would only be a Summer picnic meal for any Red Tail Hawks in you area.

3. dindonuffin

dindonuffin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Central Alabama
    La Chupacabra [​IMG]

Lord I hope we don't get those in Alabama!
    From what I hear, they are not only mean, but ugly too!!!!!!!!

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Talk to local bee keeper about effective electric fencing for bear proofing. Electric poultry netting correctly installed and a hot fence charger will go a long way to stopping predators. Premier 1 is a good place to get info, fencing, and how to support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by