1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Northeast chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sjthawk, Dec 31, 2016.

1. sjthawk

sjthawk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2016
    Me and my wife just purchased a new house in New Hampshire that had a chicken coop with 5 Hands in it been reading a lot of how to take care of them as I am new to chickens just wondering how it goes with them in the winter as keeping them warm and happy as well I was told from the previous owner they used to let them out of the coop will they really go back in automatically just nervous I don't want to lose them or is it a good idea to do in the winter if they're used to going out once in awhile I would like to keep the same routine with them me information on keeping my chickens happy and healthy in the Northeast would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it's wise to keep the same routine the chickens have been used to. They will return to the coop to roost at sunset. You can also get them back into the coop at any time by tossing a little scratch grain in front of the coop, then another little bit inside. Chicken and scratch grains are like flies and honey.

You will want to get them a balanced feed, layer formula or an all flock feed. Scratch grains are to be doled out sparingly as they have little nutrition. Offer oyster shell on the side for calcium. Fresh, clean water every day is essential. Make certain they have access to it and it's not frozen.

The hens are used to the cold. As long as they are fed adequately, they will generate their own heat.

3. sjthawk

sjthawk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2016
    Thanks for the great advise. So letting them out in the snow is okay

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    YES

1 person likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The biggest winter mistake newbies make is closing the coop up tight in the mistaken notion that cutting the ventilation will keep the birds warm. You want to ensure that the birds have good ventilation in the coop year round. The biggest winter threat to birds is frost bite to combs and toes which occurs when there is too much moisture in the coop. Enjoy! I wish every new home came with a flock of egg layers!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by