Northeast Flock Keepers - We have a couple of days to prep for a big storm

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Depending on where we are and how it develops, many of us over here could be faced with several inches or more of snow, along with winds and for our coastal residents, high tides.

I am grateful for the headsup from forecasters, wanted to pass this along.

I need to go grab bedding, feed, maybe a few things for me [​IMG]

We'll have a couple of days of sunniness where I am. Nice treat, gonna take advantage of that.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'm in the province of ON(Canada) and they are predicting, up to 15CM of snow(6in) and 60k winds.. joy! at least it's sunny and clear today, the birds are all set, it's just us people, make sure to keep shovels handy to dig out. [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I can spread a light cover over the Day Pen to keep it usable after the storm. Bracing should hold just fine.

The high-end possible number tossed about a few places is two feet (a bit over half a meter) for Hartford, Connecticut.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds good, mine are not truly penned it's a 1/3 of an acre field so i'll just have to shovel if we do get what they predict.

5. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    I'm in Australia and the floods have just recided, luckly though, we stocked up on everything we need for the animals before we were flooded in. Stuck for a few days with no way out or in nor electricity. I was in the pool with my sister and we saw a tree fall down on the powerline outside our house, sparks everywhere! The live wire sat on top of out fence so we couldn't get out, Energex came and tied up the wire but they've only recently restored power...
    Anyways, the duckling managed to choose the worst possible day to hatch...when the rain started he internally pipped then started externally pipping as the power went on and off and finally hatched just after a huge branch landed on top of the duck house... they would have gotton a fright!

Hopefully yours wont be as bad...Good luck!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    animalz11,

Thanks for that report! We may get a few inches of snow, or a couple of feet. Don't know yet.

But I try to get myself motivated so that if we do get two feet of snow, and wind, and the power goes out, and the roads aren't open for a few days, that I can concentrate on the daily routine of shoveling and keeping the fire going and minding the ducks without worrying about running out of food. Good to have Plans B, and C and D if you can get there . . . .

Sounds like everyone is safe where you are. Said a few prayers when I saw some of what was going on out your way. Life is interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by