Northeast Ohio Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maplemaam, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Maplemaam

Maplemaam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Hello from Geauga County in northeast Ohio. We are blessed to have 31 acres in a semi-rural area, and we have recently begun to make it more farm-like. About 7 years ago we began tapping our maple trees and producing 25-30 gallons of maple syrup each year. We love working together with friends and family each year on this venture.

About a year ago we began contemplating adding fresh eggs to our productions and just about 2 weeks ago bought our 6 Golden Comet pullets. We plan on building our coop in a few weeks during our spring break, so we are busy looking at plans for a (hopefully) flock of 12. We are learning as we go about chicken development, etc. and loving every minute...OK...I don't really love cleaning out the box so much.

I am grateful to my friend, Kait, who told me about this site and is encouraging us as we go. I look forward to reading about others of us newbie chicken folks and learning from you experts.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC!

Maple tapping is great fun! I'm glad your family gets so involved.

Enjoy!

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. Maplemaam

Mar 12, 2016
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Thanks! I enjoyed looking at the photos of your coop. I'm so impressed with you folks who have many different breeds. Maybe we will get all adventurous in the future!

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. Maplemaam

Mar 12, 2016
    Geauga County, Ohio
    We just love maple syrup and get a real kick out of all the fun times we have each year...kids and grandkids come home for it, and many friends join in. Good times!

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you checked out the coops section, many styles, sizes, varieties - some with photos of each step of the build? You may also like to check your state thread and find out what is going on around you. [​IMG]

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. Maplemaam

Mar 12, 2016
    Geauga County, Ohio
    My husband and I have been looking at the larger coops since we ultimately want to have a dozen chickens or so. We found one we really like today and hope to modify a bit and begin working on in a week or so. I will check out the Ohio thread, as well. Thanks for the advice!

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. If its possible, I'd suggest building a coop that accommodates far more than the 12 chickens you intend to have - chicken maths is a curse on us all [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

KikisGirls and rjohns39 like this.
  9. karen6

karen6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Hello from another Geauga County resident! We have 6 chickens so far, with plans to add another 10 or so now that our coop is done.

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. Maplemaam

Mar 12, 2016
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Hello! We are new to this, just getting our first 6 chicks last month. I'm already hooked, and last week I ordered 6 more that should arrive in late April. My husband and I are busily working on our coop, and I am trying to learn all of the things I should have learned before I bought those darling babies.

So far all is well...chicks are growing nicely and are fairly friendly. I just wish this crazy Geauga county weather would cooperate, so I could get those chickens outside some.

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by