1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Northeast peeps. Are your hens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykorat, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I have 17 hens. I'm getting 1-2 eggs/day. The rest still aren't laying. I know it's been a rough winter, but this is ridiculous! Those are some expensive eggs!

2. dakunst

dakunst Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    We're in NJ and we have 5 hens. Most of December - February we were lucky if we got 1 egg a day, usually none. Just the past 2 weeks , they are back to normal and everyone is laying! This was the first winter we ever had them slow down and/or stop.

3. bren0990

bren0990 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    I live in Newfoundland, Canada and for the past 7 days I have been 2/2 for egg laying. I have a mobile coop and moved them into my large detached garage with a fairly large window for sunlight.

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I live on the South Coast in Mass. I haven't seen an egg since November. Mid October all my hens went through a full molt and stopped laying. This is normal for them but when they got all their new feathers out they didn't start up again!

[​IMG]

I did everything. Offered more grit and extra proteins but they refused to lay. Although, in the past couple of weeks the girls have began to explore the nest boxes. Forever praying for eggs [​IMG]

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My almost 3 year old hens are laying 5-8 eggs out of 11 hens since mid December. They have been stuck in the coop for 2 months because of snow. I do add light every year.

6. The Beard Farm

The Beard Farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    I have 4 hens who just started laying this week: It has been a long winter.

2 - Sunday
    4 - Monday
    0 - today

7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I've noticed that a lot of this depends on the breed. Here's the winter results for my 18 to 20 month-old hens with NO supplemental light or heat:

RIR: 4.5 eggs/wk in Dec, 4.8 eggs/wk in Jan, 4.3 eggs/wk in Feb (She never took a winter break from egg-laying.)
    BR (barred rock): 0 eggs/wk in Dec and Jan, 4.0 eggs/wk in Feb (no egg laying from 11/10/14 to 1/25/15)
    Black Australorp: 0 eggs/wk in Dec, Jan and Feb (no egg laying from 10/18/14 to 3/3/15)
    Buff Orpington: intermittent laying from Dec to Feb, sometimes taking 2-3 weeks off at a time. Approx 2-3 eggs/wk when laying.

I've also noticed that the winter periods of no egg-laying tend to increase with age. It's not uncommon for my 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old hens to take 5 months off for winter, and only lay well during a short 2-4 month period in the spring/summer.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    Only one egg today. Don't know who laid it, but I suspect our brahma- light brown egg.

Our hens include- One six yr old EE. She rarely lays anymore, but she is our oldest hen, and a sweetheart.
    4 yr old EE and White rock
    2 year old Campine, 2 wyandottes

1 yr old -4 ee, 2 marans, partrich cochin. brahma, brown leghorn, wyandotte. ancona.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by