Northeastern Arkansas House?Update, Page 3

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MagsC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, it looks as if I FINALLY have found my "place". Just out of curiousity, I posted about being interested in swapping houses.
    The reply I got back was from a woman living in the Cherokee Village area of Arkansas, she was wanting to move back up here to be closer to her kids.
    And I, of course, want to be outside of town, I wasnt really caring WHERE.
    This isnt set in stone yet but is very intriguing.
    The place is the only house on a mile long gravel road, a three bedroom/one bath (being plumbed for two baths) and has a nice outbuilding for chickens and goats.
    I know it will be warmer than what I am used to....
    So anyway, I am doing some research. Any personal experience of living in this area, pros and cons would be great.
    Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    It's about 20 F right now. I'm about 10 miles from there. CV it'self is a retirment community (or I should say started out that way) but from your decription it doesn't like that place is inside CV. Hardy/Spring River is close by and that brings in a lot of tourist. Not always the best kind. The river isn't exactly family friendly on holiday weekends. Use to I would say it was a low crime area but meth has changed all that. Break ins and stealing are fairly common now. Not too much violent crime like robberies. The local hospital closed down a few years ago so it's a ways to the nearest hospital. Plenty of local doctors though and there is a Wal-Mart at Ashflat. Anything else you need to know just ask.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks![​IMG] I am pretty excited about it, just trying to go slowly and learn everything.
    Not worried about the crime rate so much as I used to live in Atlanta. Seems like most places now are not without quite a bit of crime, even here.
    20 degrees??? Cripes, its a heat wave!!!!! To me, thats perfect for winter, anything that is just a bit warmer than here,lol.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Warmer is not a bad thing...lol

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    LOL!!! And right now, I REALLY believe that!!! Stepping outside at this point is like going into a freezer.[​IMG]

6. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Arkansas is a beautiful state. i love it here and would never move. Good Luck! [​IMG]

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have only been through Arkansas a couple of times but what I saw of it, I liked. My 17 year old is in agreement. Even if for some reason this deal falls through, HER four choices of states are Missouri,Arkansas,Tennessee and Kentucky.

8. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    I have been in that area alot! I love it! I am from missouri not far from there but i've always been around arkansas too in jonesboro and hardy and imboden and "CV" areas it's some of the most beautiful areas you'll ever see. The north east arkansas area really doesn't get a bunch of snow rarely almost never over a foot of snow. But just enough to enjoy! its PURE country area! great for any kind of farming you want to do! if that doesnt work you could just come over the missouri line! And Mammoth springs arkansas is a BEAUTIFUL it is not far from "CV"

I have a photo album of some of the North east arkansas and South east missouri areas.

Heres the whole gallery with some personal pets and chickens too.
    http://digital-disire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heres a few selected favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is mammoth springs arkansas park (picture below)
    [​IMG]
    11 point river (in missouri about hour drive from CV)
    [​IMG]
    Bull Shoals lake
    [​IMG]
    Sunrise at Bull Shoals Lake
    [​IMG]
    This is missouri about a hour from CV but it looks about the same anywhere you go out side of town in the CV area. Hills, Pasture and Trees!

[​IMG]
    This is off a gravel road... Expect the area your looking into to look about the same.
    [​IMG]
    This is about as big of a snow we get... 6 inchs I know it looks bad but it isn't thick BUT! look theres a road under all that snow. Down side is back where the area your looking into likely on a gravel road or a back road even won't get a snow plow fast.
    [​IMG]
    another down side there is so many low bridges and hilly it floods If it rains alot above us. oh and that truck didn't get far!
    [​IMG]

Good sides and down sides to missouri and arkansas both like anywhere! My mom lives in jonesboro and I still go back and forth and always will! I basicly have lived in both states all my life.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It's an AWESOME area! I'm A little south in Heber Springs area. We LOVE it here! Been here 20 years on Wed.

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I LOVE those pics and I am so jealous!! I want to be there yesterday!![​IMG]
    Though we got too much snow here in December, I am glad AR gets a LITTLE bit for this going to be transplanted northerner.[​IMG]
    One thing I did notice is that it looks a bit like the Mississippi Bluffs area I live in right now and thats perfect. I prefer the hills and woods over flat land.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by