Northeastern Poultry Congress - Springfield, MA - Jan 16-17, 2010

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by LilPeeps, Nov 24, 2009.

1. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Just checking in to see how many are planning on attending the Poultry Congress in January. There's going to be a lot going on this year, I know it's going to be a great show! Below is an email from Cheryl Barnaba (Congress VP) with updates on the goings on for the show. The site for the show is: http://poultrycongress.com/. You can download a showbook and entry form on the site. I hope to see many of you there [​IMG]

Hello Friends, Visitors, Members and Exhibitors of the Northeastern Poultry Congress !

Well it's full speed ahead for the National ! As you are all aware this is the biggest poultry event in New England in recent memory. Back in the horse and carriage days maybe they had something bigger I don’t know.

Very soon Show Catalogs will be in your mailbox. The bulk of them are going in the mail today in fact! If you don’t get one you can down load one at the web site. OR if you really want your very own hard copy let me or Janet Winnett know and we will get one out to you. You have to 65 or older to qualify. Only kidding of course.

Please note that the entry deadline is December 21st. Yes your right that’s early ! We choose that date to avoid messing with Santa. Also we wanted to be as prepared for the unknown as possible. It is of course anyone’s guess as to how many birds we will be getting for this most prestigious of shows. Fill out that entry now and get it over with. Please. Thankyou.

I made an error (can you believe it!) on the entry form. Trios are 7.00 a trio not 7.00 per bird as the entry form says (darnit). We do expect this to be a Wicked Trio Show so do your best 3 some going. In fact the Congress Trio show is the second largest in the Nation. That’s nothing to sniff at. There are great rosettes and some decent money on them as well. New this year we are offering an award for best Waterfowl Trio.

We have had 5 (so far) last minute meets come in. We now have a State Meet for the National Call Breeders of America, and a District Meet for the Dutch. We also have the National Jersey Giant Club District Meet. The American Game Bantam Club is bringing its National. And the Polish Breeders Club just sent us there National as well.

For all you OE people out there I just heard that the OEGBCA National did go South. Sadly no big surprise. It’s still going to be a fantastic game show. We have the Modern National, The Cornish National, The Big Game National and now the American Game Bantam Club National. OEBCA members please note we have published a special meet notice in the show catalog.

Our lecture series is going to be GREAT. I have advertised it pretty well and I expect it to be well attended. We have some very interesting things going on that will appeal to the old timer and the new comer alike. See the bottom of this email for the lecture series schedule.

For the Chicken visitor we have show hall tours. Our docent is our friend Howard Kogan. Howard will be showing the chicken curious all the fine points of the Poultry Show. I suspect he will also promote his breed the rare and beautiful Nankin ! There will be two tours on Sat 11am & 2pm.

Please be sure to forward this email to your friends that I may have missed. Especially folks who are just chicken curious. We would like them to attend as well. Also any of you that poultry Chat please we could use some upchat on this ABA National. Chatting is not my thing, so if you would please help us by telling the World about the Congress I would appreciate it.

Hey if you have not booked at the Clarion now you better getherbooked. I suspect the rooms will sell out. See the show catalog for details. Even though there are restaurants at the Clarion, Steven Gould and I would like you to know that Cal’s Wood Fired Grill (located very close to the Clarion) has some pretty good seafood. And on that note this years Mallory building food vendor has a new owner. They seem pretty good on the phone… I asked them to prepare for us some New England Chowder for our visitors. She did mention they offer several types of salad. HEY Poultry People eat your veggies !! No excuses at this show.

Yes we have No Banquet. We have something better: A Sunset Social. This hour of libations and poultry deliberations will be held at the Clarion. All our exhibitors and guests are welcome to attend. It’s a cocktail party of sorts ( the "sorts" being it’s a cash bar) we will supply everything else for an excellent party. For the kids the Congress is hosting a Pizza Party ! We would like nothing more than kids making new friends and talking turkey just like the adults.

If you’re not yet an American Bantam Association Member now is the time to join! Can you imagine winning the National and not being a member! If you are a member and have a few Bantam Bucks kicking around be sure to bring them and use them on anything the ABA sells (renewal of membership included). Karen Unrath will be bring the ABA store by the way so be sure to save some of your real bucks for books, shirts, mugs, pins and patches. If your showing a breed that has a meet at the Congress be sure to join that club too as many of them offer awards to members only.

Ever wish you had a few spare show cages kicking around at home? Well your perfect chance has arrived. Peter Brown of First State Vet Supply will bring them for you if you contact him. The shipping on these things is OUTragious so if you want one email him at [email protected] In fact work up your spring order and pick it up from him at the show. I don’t have to tell you shipping is wicked these days.

As most of you know this year there is a bigger than normal push on to acquire good birds for our bird raffle. We are planning to highlight the breeders better so the birds attract more attention and thus get higher bids or more tickets. New this year is an eggs alive fertile egg auction. This is a totally new idea and we have an impressive list of donors. If you can may we please add you to the list ??! Also our Chinese raffle is looking for your thoughtful gifts as well. Our raffles generate good money back to our coffers and we really appreciate your donations.

We will be sending out the usual formal set up notices. This year we are grateful to Boston Poultry Expos’ Stephen Blash for lending us cages. With out Stephens’s help we certainly could not hold a colossal show. Somehow the cages will be in our show hall on Saturday. Set up is Sunday at 9:00. Brian says he will be in the Building all week and if your free just drop by he will have something for you to do.

Please be sure to check out the web site often we are constantly updating it. Soon you will be able to see the beautiful buckles and bracelets made by Montana Silversmiths. Some of these are Jr awards and some are offered for sale at very close to whole sale. They are HEAVY silver and really unique. www.poultrycongress.com

I realize I have done quite a bit of talking with out address this: Quality. In terms of pure exhibition this is going to be a top quality show. I am consistently told by judges from abroad that our birds in New England are the best in the Nation. I don’t think these guys are just trying to make me feel better as I hear it all the time. I know we have a lot to offer the new people and the visitors… but we have saved the best for you the exhibitor. Competition. That’s right folks from far away are driving to try to win the top prize. For the serious exhibitor we have the Nations top judges. We have also kept this to a all single tired show. No birds will be over looked or hidden at the Congress ! Our building is well lit and ventilated with just the right amount of heat. Its our pleasure to present quality birds in the best format possible.

A most heartfelt Thank you to those who have helped at the Big E display again this year. 17 days 221 Man-hours. Unbelievable ! Thanks to the volunteers who had given bucketful’s of time and energy. And that’s not the last of it. Thank to the volunteers who have saved us money in supplies, and donated goods so we can make more money. This show requires an army of people to get it done. We are very fortunate to have such a generous and talented force of volunteers.

Any readers of this email who are just visiting please be sure to support the Congress show by buying a visitors packet or making a donation. Your support is greatly appreciated ( just as you appreciate the free admission I suspect ).

The info desk is still open, however your chances of a decent reply diminish the closer we get to the day of the show. I can be reached at my home number 10-4:30 daily 203-481-3420.

See you at the Show !!!

Saturday

10:00 am Dan Honor; The Color Buff

11:00 am Joel Henning; Crested Breeds

12:00 pm Dr Joan Smyth; A Poultry Anatomy Lab. This lab is hands on. Attendees will learn how to properly post a deceased bird and identify its parts. The squeamish need not attend !

1:00 pm Ask the Experts with Don Schrider

2:00 pm Joseph Marquette of Yellow House Farm; "Farming with Rare Heritage Breed Poultry

3:00 pm Poulin Grain; Poultry Nutrition

4:00 pm American Bantam Assoc General Meeting ( open to all )

All Lectures and labs are free and open to the public.

2. Poultry Run Farm

Poultry Run Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Maine
    We will be there..

Looking for someone to make a couple more custom show boxes, anyone coming that makes these??

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Quote:If you mean transport boxes, there's a guy on Eggbid, belongs to the ECBBA, that makes both large fowl and bantam boxes. I hear they're pretty nice. [​IMG] And he delivers to the shows he attends.

I'm wondering if anyone from the deep south is going to this?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  4. Poultry Run Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:If you mean transport boxes, there's a guy on Eggbid, belongs to the ECBBA, that makes both large fowl and bantam boxes. I hear they're pretty nice. [​IMG] And he delivers to the shows he attends.

Thanks.. Already contacted him. He's not going to this one, went to the Ohio National instead [​IMG]

5. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass

Thanks.. Already contacted him. He's not going to this one, went to the Ohio National instead [​IMG]

There are usually transport boxes for sale there.

6. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    We will be there, woohoo
    hopefully with a very good amount of birds to show. [​IMG]

7. Poultry Run Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks.. Already contacted him. He's not going to this one, went to the Ohio National instead [​IMG]

There are usually transport boxes for sale there.

Hmmmm have not seen any the last couple years but sure will be on the look out for them, maybe they have just gotten sold before we get there, that's pretty much my luck [​IMG]

8. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Any idea what you might be showing, Shannon?

9. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Speaking of transport coops, I really need some myself. But I'd probably go broke trying to buy all I need. Does anyone know of any good easy to understand transport box building plans?

10. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:We are def showing Hubbys, OEG LF
    red frizzle
    red cochin
    i am thinking on showing 2 white crested black hens
    2 gold brabanters
    and just maybe our 3 pheonix roos [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by