Northern CALIFORNIA - Abandoned Silverlaced Seabright Bantam Rooster - Need Help / Advice?

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by jackied, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jackied

jackied New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Hello,

I know nothing about chickens or roosters, but after an extensive online search, found this website. I recently came across a really beautiful and what appears to be a Silverlaced Seabright Bantam Rooster on a trail I hike regularly.

The bird has been there for about a week and stays in one particular spot which may feel safe. I think it has been abandoned which is really a shame and I am not sure what to do as leaving it there seems cruel.

The trail is the Los Gatos Creek Trail heading toward Lexington Reservoir, in Los Gatos, California. If there is anyone out there who would like to try to get the bird, I am willing to meet to show you the exact spot and assist if needed.

If you would like to help me out, please contact me via this site and we can go from there. I am attaching a short video clip of the bird which I was able to get pretty close to, but upon return the following day, it was less approachable and might have been frightened by off-leash dogs or other animals during the night, poor thing. I am unable to bring the rooster home as I live in a townhouse with cats, so hoping there is some hope for this little guy?

My email address is: [email protected]

Thank you for your help!
    Jackie
    San Jose, CA

[​IMG]

2. LosGatosLinda

LosGatosLinda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Los Gatos
    Jackie!

Melody and myself were able to catch him 2 nights ago and I have him at my house in Los Gatos.

Hen Harbor has stated that they will take them but they're a bit hard to reach and I don't have their address. I also have a possible place for him to live in Watsonville on land where no one would hear him.

In the interim, I got an email from lady wondering if we just lost.

Here's her email:

Quote:
    But without a location, I can't find this lady to ask her in person. Ugg.

I don't know the person in Watsonville (or they have a safe place for him to live) so he may wind up at Hen Harbor if no one else comes forward to take him.

LInda

1 person likes this.
  3. jackied

jackied New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Thank you so much ladies! You have made my day:). I was worried about "Reggie" the Rooster yesterday with the monsoon like rain we had! It is good to know there are other people out there who really care and that he will be safe from now on. You are AWESOME!!!

4. LosGatosLinda

Apr 30, 2016
    Los Gatos
    Well, it is looking like Live Earth Farms (the organic veggie stall) at the end of the Los Gatos Farmer's Market (by the post office) has agreed to take him. I am heading to drop him off there in about 15 minutes!

FIngers crossed they don't change their mind before I get there.

Linda

5. jackied

jackied New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Awesome Linda and good luck!!! Keep my posted:)

6. LosGatosLinda

Apr 30, 2016
    Los Gatos
    Jackie:

Live Earth Farm (the CSA) took him! They are down in Watsonville. The produce guys at the Los Gatos Farmer's Market said they could take him and integrate him into the rest of their flock.
    I hope he does well with them. I put in a call to them today to check on him and they said they would have the 2 guys that work the Farmer's Market call me to let me know how he was doing.
    I'm fretting like a momma hen over here. I hope he's doing well. I was so worried about him! :(

7. jackied

jackied New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Oh how lovely to hear Linda! I am sure he will do fine and now he will have some company:) On a side note, I walked the trail on Saturday and noticed there was a maroon colored pet carrier sitting on top of the large pipe. Is that yours? Thank you again for all you have done!!!

8. LosGatosLinda

Apr 30, 2016
    Los Gatos
    I don't know whose carrier that is but if you are planning on walking the trail again, could you please grab it? We could post on Nextdoor.com in the Lost/Found section to get it back to its owner. Also, maybe there is a name/number on it somewhere? Maybe on the underside?

9. jackied

jackied New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    I sure will. I wondered as it had bird seed inside. Maybe someone else was trying to get the rooster too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by