Northern California Quail Fanciers

Pics

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
There are enough of us now I figured it was about time we had our own thread for chatting, swapping, keeping updated with hatches and talking about local events and projects!

Feel free to introduce yourself, show off pictures of your setup and birds, etc.

I've been taking a bit of a hatching vacation but I'm setting up some new projects over the next week I'm excited to share and will start bombing you all with this week.

@Sara L @el dorado quail @Nabiki @FunOnABun @Timothy Menezes

Please help tag anyone I forgot because I know I missed a few.

**An extra special reminder to be extra cautious about in person meetups, swaps, etc over the next few months and years as our state battles the Virulent Newcastle outbreak. Part of good bio security means wearing dedicated clothes to feed stores and other bird owner's homes, washing hands thoroughly before and after handling your own or other's animals, sanitizing new equipment and implementing proper quarantines of new additions.**

Nice! It sounds like I'll be meeting @el dorado quail on the 17th. Right now my bio security consists of keeping my quail clean. The only contact they've had with anything outside of my back yard has been the birds I got from @CoturnixComplex. Those three birds were kept separate for about a week before they got introduced to the other birds. Is that long enough? They all seem to be pretty happy and healthy so far as I can see.

That silver roo, by the way, is a very... active boy. He chases and catches all the girls. This started within 10 seconds of introduction and hasn't really slowed down. :gig

Nice! It sounds like I'll be meeting @el dorado quail on the 17th. Right now my bio security consists of keeping my quail clean. The only contact they've had with anything outside of my back yard has been the birds I got from @CoturnixComplex. Those three birds were kept separate for about a week before they got introduced to the other birds. Is that long enough? They all seem to be pretty happy and healthy so far as I can see.

That silver roo, by the way, is a very... active boy. He chases and catches all the girls. This started within 10 seconds of introduction and hasn't really slowed down. :gig

I'll admit I'm pretty stringent about incoming birds, but a little more laid back about the other direction. I live so far from any agricultural zones! And literally the only other person I've gotten anything but eggs from in the last year has been sara. I basically just QT'd yours for you before giving them to you :p

The more overcrowded, unclean, or "open" in terms of bird movement the source the more important a longer QT is for sure.

I'm so glad he's doing well. I'm a bit over the moon for him and I'm super excited to see what he produces, esp with the falb fee.

I love this!

I'm Sara, I live near Turlock, CA, and I hatched my first batch of coturnix quail back in February (4 males and 4 females). Kept all 4 females and 1 male but picked the wrong male as he was overly aggressive and scalped one of the females down to her spine. Culled both of them and decided to just keep 3 females for the time being until one of my remaining females went crazy chasing the other 2 around the hutch! She went to freezer camp too and the last couple months have been peaceful with just my 2 dirty pearl-fee hens. They are laying machines! Started laying May 1 and have not taken a day off since then...can't say the same for my chickens, that's for sure. I am in the process of having a larger partitionable (is that a word?) hutch built so I can get back to my original plan of a breeding covey to raise for both meat and eggs.

Helllloooo

I am going to try to develop deeper celadon egg color and silver/ blue/lav plumage colors.

I live smack in the middle of El Dorado county.

I will be doing a small egg producer workshop on the 17th and yes I will get to meet @Nabiki ! When my birds start producing I will be getting my egg handling license as well. If anyone wants to do a stall at a farmers market one day hit me up!

There is one more Castroville breeder I know is on here but not often and I've forgotten his username. Imma go stalk him through his CL posts and bug him to come on here and show everyone his gorgeous birds.

I currently have the same problem I always have; all my F3 keepers are boys and I want to breed all of them and can't bear to retire my old roos either. :rant

@Kaya1 !

I told u I forgot someone
Hi everyone! I'm Wes, aka Kaya1, and I live in Placer county just outside Sacramento.

I currently have 22 female Coturnix of all different colors and sizes. I don't want to deal with males, so I don't breed or hatch. They're all my spoiled little daughters in their 8/12' aviary.

Everything I know about quail, I learned from this site, and I've been very fortunate with finding breeders near by with great birds.

This thread needs more pictures!

I want to see everyone's #1 favorite bird.

You've all seen mine a million times but I just did a full write-up on the project, so ha, here you go again: Sex-Linked Roux Charcoal Sandy Project.
IMG_20190516_191847185_HDR~2.jpg

Also, if anyone's ever in need of some new males, I think these three dudes are just chilling here indefinitely for sale because I keep putting them on the chopping block and then coming up with excuses not to go through with it. They're also all pretty difficult colors to get locally.

Pearl-fee - 7 months old, proven breeder. In fact, he's the father of all three of my up and coming keeper roos.
IMG_20190516_191803887.jpg
IMG_20190516_185945694.jpg

Falb-fee - 7 months old, proven breeder.
IMG_20190516_191547440_HDR.jpg

Grau-fee/laced charcoal - 11 months old - has sort of a marbled/mottled appearance with warmer and cooler toned patches. Extra lacey if you like them that way! I am trying to breed towards more solid/scalloped-patterned ones like my avatar.
IMG_20190612_182019589_HDR.jpg IMG_20190607_154340600_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom