Northern California????

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tree_78, Nov 25, 2007.

1. tree_78

tree_78 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    Livermore
    Anyone in Northern California? I'm new to the chick world and wondering about the cold nights, predators, how to handle all this and the coming (quickly) winter! Would love to hear from you - thanks.

Tree

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    FIANLLY!!!!! Someone in my neck of the woods!!! I am up in Auburn! Where are you??? There are a few of us on here, but not very many. Welcome!!! I would have to know a little bit more about where you are, how cold it gets and what type of set up you have and what type of predators you are trying to avoid to answer your questions. But basically the biggest threats up here are raccoons, skunks, cats, hawks, bears, foxes, snakes, rats, squirrels, and your ever elusive sasquatch. LOL! Sorry just couldn't help myself. Always try the search function up on the blue bar when you are looking for info, cuz you will get way more than you ever bargained for. But if bychance you don't find what you are looking for, by all means ask. These folk are the nicest you will ever meet. Hope we all enrich your chicken experience. And just to warn you now, so you can never say I didn't tell you, we are all chicken enablers. DO NOT ask if you should ever get more, build a bigger coop, try hatching eggs, try out 16 different breeds or spend more time on this forum....CUZ THE ANSWER WILL ALWAYS BE YES!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear more about your flock. And by the way, we are also all picture addicts. Hopefully you are very familiar with Photobucket [​IMG]

Take Care
    Suz

3. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    Hi! I'm in Wallace, which is about 45 minutes northeast of Stockton. In this part of the woods, we are getting nighttime lows at around 30 degrees which is about average- although last year we did hit the mid teens. Our worst predators are coyotes (day and night) and raccoons.
    And jeaucamom is right- I have to fight the urge to set up my incubator daily- I read about different breeds that I want to try all the time!

Elizabeth

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I am in Fair Oaks, the low's have been in the high 30's at night, I have not close their chicken coop door as of yet but have put the shutters on the windows. We have an occasional hawk fly over, some small predators but I think they smell my dogs a stay away, they like to mark the territory.

5. Farmer John

Farmer John Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    707 NoCal
    I'm in noth Sonoma. I've lost a few hens to hawks and four(4) in one night to a fox. Lucky for him I haven't seen him around lately. They have large pens to peck around in during the day and I make sure keep them locked up when the sun is down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by