1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Northern Fowl Mites driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Djones24, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Djones24

Djones24 New Egg

May 2, 2016
    My chickens have been suffering with northern fowl mites since February. I have tried a couple of different things, but they never seem to go away! They are driving me absolutely crazy. What I've been able to do is basically control the infestation, but I can't get rid of it.

I've tried giving each hen a bath with a flea shampoo containing permethrin, I've added DE to the coop and their dust bath and I've also tried giving them all an oral dose of ivermectin.

I have heard that Elector PSP is the best; however, I can't seem to find it in Canada, and amazon.com won't ship it across the border. Anyone know how I can get some?

The plan is to give the coop a good Spring cleaning this weekend and I'm hoping I'll be able to give them all another treatment. Any help is appreciated!

2. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    I use essential oils along with a thing called something?...I use center wood couple drops and rub it in along with dust their bottoms with the dust.I used to bathe every thing but....after 2 hours and only bathed 6 hens....ya try dusting de on their bottums.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Permethrin spray works very well! On the birds while they roost, and the coop everywhere. It's easy, inexpensive, and safe. Spinosad works fine too, but is very $$$$. Mary

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you find and pesticides containing spinosad (active ingredient in Elector PSP). If so, let me know what they are and I'll calculate the dilution for you.

You can also try permethrin.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by