Northern Fowl Mites!

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
Well, i usually keep a close eye, but after the freezing temps i havent been one to stay out long. And as a result havent checked for mites. Well, guess what i have a high to moderate infestation!
he.gif
i used Sevin on every bird, and am cleaning EVERYTHING tomorrow. It makes me so mad, i dont check them for 2.5-3 weeks and look what happens!
rant.gif
Im soo mad at myself, and then i read that they come with the cold so i shoud be watching more in the cold. Was using sevin enough? I want to make sure i get the bulk of them. i was planning on setting eggs under a broody on thursday (who now as mites), but now i dont know, and my rooster had clumped feathers so who knows how the fertility is. What do you all think. I am just so mad at myself, i never let thes happen, but i guess you learn, and remember to check your birds more often in the cold!
he.gif

Last edited:
I had that same problem, although it was mostly on one bird. It just goes to show you what can happen if you don't pay close attention to your birds. I felt so bad that I let it happen
hit.gif
carelessness on my part. Now I check them at least once a week. Lesson learned though. I think it's a lot to do with the weather. I never had a problem untill it got real cold.

Last edited:
I just noticed mites as well, but it seems pretty mild at this point. I ordered some diatomaceous earth and I dusted the nesting boxes with poultry dust. I still have to dust the chickens themselves, which I will do tomorrow. What a drag! Does it help if they have a good spot to dirt dust themselves? My girls just came out of their coop/run the other day when the snow started to melt and they headed straight for the crawl space under my raised shed and dusted themselves with much enthusiasm.

I am so sorry Dylan
sad.png
I have one bird that has themor had them. She is now recovering and I haveent done anything like sprayer her with Sevinn or anything. She was very little and was loosing feathers but now she is gaining weight and growing new feathers!

Cody!!

Back
Top Bottom