Northern Fowl Mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dkosh, Sep 20, 2011.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I have a sparrow problem and with that I am loosing the battle of the mites. My poor ladies have bald butts. I have sprayed the coops and put powder on the bottom of the nesting boxes. I have put diatomaceous earth in their dusting holes and under the litter in the coops. I have started dusting each chicken but I have about 200 of them and dusting each one is a chore. Anyone have any ideas?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Try Permethrin 10% spray. I mix it up in a large pump sprayer and go out at night and spray the birds with it. Residue lasts about 28-30 days.

3. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    That is what I sprayed the coops with but I didn't know you could spray the chickens with it.
    I started using the powder form of it but I've been putting a sock over their heads to keep it out of their eyes.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The ratio of permethrin to water is less for chickens than if you were using it on the coop/run/roosts/etc. I use 1.28 ounces of permethrin 10% to 1 gallon of water for use on the birds. I make sure to get their bum, and under their wings. I do it when its dark out and they let me stick the tip of the sprayer up under their wings.

5. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Thanks! I think I will give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by