Northern Gamefowl Breeders?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jstephens0224, Jul 8, 2016.

1. jstephens0224

jstephens0224 New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Valier, MT
    Hey everyone! I am having trouble locating any gamefowl breeders, either American or Standard Old English, in the north! I would like to buy some from stocK that has been at least somewhat conditioned to the colder climate of central Montana where it can dip into the -20s with howling wind during the winter. I would think gamefowl raised in Minnesota for example would be a bit more cold tolerant than the stock I'm finding in the Southeast! Thanks in advance :)

2. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    They are all pretty tough. I think the Claret birds originated in Canada. If you dub them there is no comb to freeze and the biggest thing is if they cover their toes on the roost. The ones that don't should be culled IMO. If they have been graded to oriental, they might have a little tighter feather, but there are people with orientals up north. If you can keep them out of the wind and keep the snow from blowing on them, even the orientals can take some cold, but you will get some that don't cover their feet and don't have sense enough to shake the snow off of their back. American Games are probably the toughest chicken that there is, so you should be fine, I have had hens and stags that roosted outside in the trees here at under 10 below with heavy snow on the ground and they just keep bobbing on the limb, they fly down when it quits snowing and they see a spot to land.

3. jstephens0224

jstephens0224 New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Valier, MT
    Ok thanks varidgerunner I appreciate the response! I just figured if I bought birds from a northern breeder, I would have a lower mortality rate the first couple winters. If I can't find a northern breeder I will definitely order from the south. I know there has got to be quite a few people along the Canadian border states that have American Games, I just can't find any to save my life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by