Hello everyone. Just this month my city, Traverse City - Michigan, changed our ordinances allowing me to become an Urban Chicken Farmer. Here's my dilemma... I have a window of opportunity from the time that they are baby chicks till the time they are ready for the coop. Including the time to order them and wait for their initial arrival. However, we have some pretty intense and long winters here that can sometimes start in late October and drag on through March and April. Give or take a month, honestly. I've been trying the best I can to find out everything I can but in the sea of information (thankfully we have so many resources here at BYC) I'm a bit lost and concerned over whether I should actually order and get my chicks now before winter sets in or if I should just wait till next spring. My interest is in their well being and I absolutely do not want to introduce them into an environment they are not sturdy enough for yet due to their age. I have many ideas on my breed choices for egg layers who are also hearty in the winter temps but I turn to you all for advice. Should I wait? Will they be fine? Your experiences and comments are greatly appreciated!