1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Northern Ontario...I mean really North

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by skidoo, Jan 15, 2009.

1. skidoo

skidoo New Egg

Jan 13, 2009
    Near Sault Ste Marie
    Anyone around the North shore of Lake Superior? (Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie) I am looking to raise birds in the coming summer but I am concerned about the challenges of our harsh climate. If anyone in the area has advice, experience or similar interest, please get in touch with me.

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I don't have experience up there, but I've been up there and I'm sure with proper insulation and housing for your birds you should be fine. Make sure to purchase a cold hardy breed, maybe get some Chanteclers? The all-Canadian breed for our weather!

3. allymeagan

allymeagan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Hey, I'm in Thunder Bay. I have an inulated coop, and they do just fine. I put a water heater in to make it easier on me, but last winter I just changed their water twice a day. Other than that, it's not heated. I tried to pick hardier breeds--I have americaunas, harco, red star, and cuckoo marans, and they all do well.

Anywhoo, if you have any questions, just give me a shout, eh?

Take care,
    Allison

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by