Northern outdoor aviary

Dan Clark

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
I live in Illinois where we have large temp swings. Winter down below zero and in summer up to 100. I was thinking of puting in a aviary outside to keep birds in. I know quail do well since I raise them. So will have some in there but I was trying to think of birds that would do well in cold with shelter and heating. Would prefer to keep in there year round but if need be I’ll bring inside during winter. Was thinking budgie, and finches but those would be birds that I bring in when it gets cold. Any idea on cold hardy birds?

Cockatiels,rosellas ,bourke parakeets,diamond doves do very well outside year-round.
I wouldn't provide any heat source,just poly there pen All around so no drafts gets to them.You don't want it so tight that moister builds up as this will cause bacteria to grow,and that will kill them.Birds can handle the cold temps,it's the draft blowing on them that will kill them.
Now my theory on providing heat.If you provide heat your birds will not produce down which keeps them warm.If you lose power and your birds don't have enough down they will die.
I have raised and still raising all of these birds outside year-round for years.
You have to put them out in the spring time until the temps hit 35 degrees or so before you poly them in.This gives them time to produce the down they will need.
I am in N.H.,so it does get cold here.
In N.H.,Tony.

Cockatiels,rosellas ,bourke parakeets,diamond doves do very well outside year-round.
I wouldn't provide any heat source,just poly there pen All around so no drafts gets to them.You don't want it so tight that moister builds up as this will cause bacteria to grow,and that will kill them.Birds can handle the cold temps,it's the draft blowing on them that will kill them.
Now my theory on providing heat.If you provide heat your birds will not produce down which keeps them warm.If you lose power and your birds don't have enough down they will die.
I have raised and still raising all of these birds outside year-round for years.
You have to put them out in the spring time until the temps hit 35 degrees or so before you poly them in.This gives them time to produce the down they will need.
I am in N.H.,so it does get cold here.
In N.H.,Tony.
What exactly is poly? I live in same weather temps. I currently have deep litter small aviary. I’m wondering what to do in winter too! It’s very open right now. All four sides are just linked fence with net. Thanks

Attachments

• 58DFE011-1A56-40C9-BE97-A99CDD2B95E7.jpeg
    58DFE011-1A56-40C9-BE97-A99CDD2B95E7.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom