Northern Utah winters questions

Grandmadee

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
Layton, Utah
Hi, this is my first winter with my 3 girls. I have heard my girls are cold hardy. 1 Buff Cochin,1 Delaware and 1 Easter Egger.The thermometer in the coop read about 35.They always roost at night and usually lay in the morning. The coop could be insulated better. But it is dry.It is an 8×10 converted greenhouse. The floor is wood with a layer of pine shavings. The nests are made from cardboard apple boxes and inside the coop.They usually lay in the same nest.This morning when I went to let them out 2 were in the nests and the 3rd was perched outside. She is not laying yet.About a half hour later I checked the nests and had 2 eggs in the same nest. This is common. Could they have been in the nests because it was warmer? Should I add another nest, or a heat lamp at night? What do you all think? Thanks in advance. They free range on an acre all day.
[/IMG]

Your chickens do not need supplemental heat. I posted in another thread a heat suggestion, but his chickens are tiny seramas. Person also lives in way colder portion of USA. Heat lamps are also quite dangerous as to fire safety. I suggest that you have enough ventilation, but since you only have 3 hens, they generate less humidity than a larger flock. Read up on ventilation threads here and inform self. Generally speaking, ventilation should have openings up high above chicken roosts. The very important factor, is to make sure there are no drafts blowing directly on your chickens.
Post some pictures of your coop with any additional questions on your mind. As for the girls crowding into same nest. It is because they prefer it rather than searching for warmth from other hen. With 3 hens, one nest is sufficient.
WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom