Northwest Colorado anyone??

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by back2basics, Dec 21, 2007.

1. back2basics

back2basics Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2007
    NW of Maybell, CO
    I am so brand new to this I dont even have any chickens yet.

I have been reading about breeds and wondering if anyone has suggestions for my area. I am hoping to have both layers and meat birds.

The weather here is extreme. I am mostly worried about the summer heat. July can get to 105 and above. Would only be looking at layers for then.

Winters are also extreme, not a lot of snow but temps do get below zero.

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] Hi BTBasics, I haven't got my chicks yet either. Planning on getting them at the end of March. I'm just getting 4-5 for laying only. Starting with Black Austrolorps and Buff Orps. They are said to be very cold hardy and good layers. So excited. I'm in Arvada so it's not quite as extreme as up NW area but today it's cold. I'm ready for Spring. I'm finding this BYC site to be very helpful so far. Good luck.

Cara

3. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Welcome B2B...hi COchick.

I am in the small (teeny-tiny) town of Fleming which is on the NorthEast corner of state of CO. It's about 20 miles South of the Nebraska border.

I currently have 13 RSs that I ordered a year ago this March and some bantys I acquired from a neighboring farm. As well as a couple of EEs, an Andalusian, BR and a Buttercup.

I ordered 50 more birds and should be getting them in 4 weeks! Yay! I am SO excited!

That would make a total of 87 birds here but, I live on 35 acre farm so..plenty of space! (Well, actually 88 since I am suppose to get a FREE Rare & Unusual. Which I hear means I will get a roo!Oh well! [​IMG])

Peace-

Pedro [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Hi, welcome to the Forum. I'm in the central CO mtns with lots of snow and below zero weather. Personally, I would go with the heavy breeds. I have australorps, buff orps, EEs, RIRs. A lot depends on your coop. Mine have been spending their entire days in the coop because of the awful wind and blowing snow. I have their water heated to keep it unfrozen all the time. Everyone is doing fine except for my australorpeX roo. He has frostbite on his comb which is very large. My EE roo is a much better choice for the cold weather. So it may depend if you just want hens for laying or if you plan to have a roo for hatching. Although I don't have any, Chauncelors, (which are from Canada originally) would probably do well because the comb is smaller.

5. back2basics

Dec 21, 2007
    NW of Maybell, CO
    Hey,

Thanks for the welcome, I have been looking at the heavier breeds, and will start with some layers. My sister is 50 miles east of my place and got into layers last year.

Our place is northwest of Maybell, which is mainly known for hunting. We bought last year, and it was vacant land, so we are building from the ground up. We built 3 bunkhouses and a pole barn so far. It is on the Honey Do List to start building a coop as I would like to be able to get the birds in the spring.

I have found this sight to be so full of info and pics.
    As we are fairly isolated here, nearest neighbor is 8 miles down the road and other then that we are surrounded by BLM. It is nice to have found a place to chat and share info.

To all in the blowing cold, stay warm!

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I live close to Cheyenne, so I'm not too awfully far from you. I have bantams right now, but if you want layers, I would suggest the "dual purpose" breeds, like:

Wyandottes-come in several colors
    EE's-these are very hardy chickens and lay blue and green eggs
    Dominique-Hardy chickens in general-barred in color
    Brahmas-come in three colors, non show strains are decent to good layers

Notice I did not include the usual "rocks, new hampshires, and rhode island reds" I find with the temps being sooo low and the wind- single combed birds are at risk for frostbite.

Wyandottes and Dominiques have rose combs
    Brahmas and EE's have pea combs
    Good combs for cold weather!

7. back2basics

Dec 21, 2007
    NW of Maybell, CO
    I actually am looking at the Wyandotte, and had read about getting cold weather combs. Recognized all the breeds you mentioned, except EE?

Also, is it better to drive 50 miles to pick up chicks or can they be mail ordered and delivered to remote areas by ups.

8. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Personally, I would drive the 50 miles and pick up the chicks. When hatcheries ship chicks they use the Post Office, not UPS. When I've gotten birds I had to go to the PO and pick them up. I've heard stories of the rural carriers delivering eggs (most were horror stories), but I don't know about babies. I agree with the pea combs. I have a lot of single comb hens and they do fine. Single comb roos, not so fine. It's a lot of work to keep their combs from frostbite. I've only had one Wyandotte, but she was a super chicken. The EE's are easter eggers. They are good choices too, and lay green eggs. In the catalogs, they are labeled Amercaunas, but are not the true Amercauna breed. I've had lots of EE's and they do well in the cold weather.

9. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] Happy New Year All!!! No wind today YAY!!!!!!!! Basics you are lucky, I'd love to be out in the middle of nowhere. I've actually never heard of your town and I've lived here all my life. Here in the burbs we've come to find that neighbors for some reason think your business is theirs also. We live on almost an acre but it's divided by the water ditch and it's on a pretty busy 4way STOP corner that 90% of the drivers think doesn't apply to them. :mad:

Anyways, I'm getting 2 Buff Orps and 2 Blck Autros to start in March from LoneCowboy but since I'm now an official addicty of BYC I just know I'm going to want more. I've wanted them since I was little so by gum I'm going to get them. [​IMG]

Pagan it sounds wonderful up where your at also. All that room to roam. I'm jealous.

10. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Ks I have a newbie question for you, are all Silkies bantys or are there standard Silkies? I told LoneCowboy lastnight I think I want to get Silkies next if I can mix them with my heavies. (I know I'm putting the cart before the horse)

Cara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by