Norway's Sad Tragedy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Jul 23, 2011.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    People had mentioned on the Amy W. thread that they felt the news programs were giving insufficient coverage of the Norway tragedy.

Please feel free to discuss this sad event here if you feel the need to discuss it.

I've been reading about it, but the authorities still don't seem to have a clear picture of the shooter's reasons.

My impression has always been that the scandinavian countries seem much more actively involved in making sure mentally ill people get treatment and stick with it, than in the USA. So I tend to think that it is less likely that he was an obviously ill person who was not treated. He seems to have escaped notice til now, except for some arrests for minor offenses.

He is known to have some right-wing sentiments and the group he sympathized with perpetrated some other killings in the 1990's.

All in all, this sort of violence with this number of victems is horrifying in any country. But I believe that in a country like Norway, it is simply unheard of. It's hard for me to imagine such a thing happening in that place. It seems so blessed with natural beauty and good people.

Sending healing prayers and hopes of recovery and peace to all those affected in Norway.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes seemly unheard of any major violence in that country. Good people there too!

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    My aunt lives in Norway, and I was talking to my parents about the bombing - I had thought perhaps she knew people involved...because you always think bad things like this happen to other people.

One of the buildings bombed is the building my aunt works in. She was on vacation like most of the other people - apparently they get 4 weeks of vacation time, and most take the month of July off. My parents were able to get a hold of her shortly after it happened.

According to her - the man "went postal" for lack of a better term. Hopefully they will be able to get some answers - he's already admitted responsibility.

For the island shootings....just horrible. Horrible.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Maybe the newscasters are right. The Amy Winehouse story seems to be much more interesting to people.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Its a sad sad thing to happen,makes you wonder what goes through peoples heads to justify to themself that doing this is a good thing.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not me, and I don't know Amy, nor do I care. Call me heartless but she rolled the dice and she lost. Its sad for her family to deal with the grief. It is not like an "accident", she knew what she was getting into and only hurting herself more. Like another Lohan in the making.

I am more focus on the Norway and feeling very sorry for the tragedy it unfolded that day.

7. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I get really scard that something might happen to me someday that has to do with bad people [​IMG] I get really bad dreams [​IMG]

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:Apparently so [​IMG] Sad that the senseless death of 90+ people - most of them teens - is overshadowed by just one person.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just saw some coverage on this... so sad. [​IMG]
    Wht is gods name is wrong with some people?

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Redhen, I honestly don't know. Economy and social status may have something to do with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by