1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Norwegian Jaerhon sex link question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Can anyone give me more info on the genes that make Jaerhon chicks autosexing? I love this breed, but I can't seem to find much information at all. I adopted some hens (couldn't find a roo), and crossed them with my Black Ameraucana roo, hoping to create some true blue egg laying EEs. The chicks fall into 2 distinct categories. They look very similar to Jaerhon chicks. Some are darker with the white dot on their heads. Could these chicks be sex-linked? I know as a general rule, you can not create sex linked chicks by pairing a sex link breed with a non sex link breed. And I admit I unclear on the difference between auto-sexing and sex link.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Here's my understanding---all auto sexing breeds are based on barring. So, the genetics that apply to one autosexing breed apply to them all.

Your hens carry barring, so if crossed to a non barred rooster, they'll throw sex link chicks. White head spots mean male, solid heads mean female. They should all have one copy each of white and blue for eggs, so you should have made sex link blue egg layers.

Since the genetics are the same, you might check out the Cream Legbar, Rhodebar or Biefilder threads. Some educated genetics folks hang out on some of those threads and you can glean some good info.

3. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Thanks! This is what I had suspected has happened. It's kind of cool to have some sex linked blue egg layers. On the other hand, this also means I have a LOT of little roosters in the brooder :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by