Norwegian Jaerhon?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joyous, Oct 30, 2009.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I have been trying to figure out what this pullet is for months. She looks just like a Norwegian Jaerhon except she has white/ very light yellow legs. I got her from Sand Hill Hatchery which has them( along with assorted other pullets). I have emailed the owner, but I am sure he doesn't have time to answer every newbies question! Can there be this much variation in leg color? I am only interested in pets/eggs so it doesn't matter to me if she fits the standard. I would just love to know what she is! She is very docile and sweet! I would love your opinions!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    no no no i say no on being a Norwegian Jaerhon

looks like a cross pullet.

maybe A little EE in her looks like one of me EE mutts

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I don't think they got a mutt from a hathery and I seriously doubt it has any EE in it. It doesn't quite look like a Norwegian Jaerhon to me but I suppose it might be. I have not had any of those.

4. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks guys, I have gotten so many opinions I guess I should just let it go! lol. I wouldn't care if she was a mutt, but since I got her from a reputable hatchery I don't think she is. I am just curious and it was fun figuring out the others. The light colored legs are the stumping part , otherwise she fits some other breeds! She is sweeter than a leghorn or game hen! She has white earlobes so I should get some nice white eggs from her when she is older! Maybe she will just always be my mystery lady!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Very pretty! I can see why someone would think EE- her back end is similar, but everything else is wrong. I don't think you'd get a mutt from Sandhill either. [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What colored egg does she lay?

7. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    She is only about 15 weeks old, so no eggs yet, but she has a white earlobe. Thanks!

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have a feeling the Norwegian Jaerhon is the closest thing you will be able to find.

I would like to post a link from feathersite about Jaerhon. The big thing to notice is at the bottom of the page, it states that a "new variety mysteriously popped up in the Sandhill Hatchery lines."

It is PERFECTLY possible that your bird just happened to inherit some random genes, if a new variety could randomly appear.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Jaer/BRKJaerhone.html

9. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    those hens look like they have barred feathers so how does that hen and the other hen match up? just curiouse to why everyone thinks that unless theres other colors.

Quote:

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:
    You can see a slight barred pattern, (or maybe cuckoo) on the head of the original posters hen. I saw this hen awhile back and still believe she is an off color Jaerhone from hatchery lines. Sandhills has been known to throw some odd colors by feathersite and a few other people, the white and yellow legs do not matter, due to if you look at the legs of the birds on the images they have both yellow and white (and in between). It's hard to say really- a cross could be correct since it is a hatchery, kind of why i had to laugh at the "no mutts from a hatchery" comment, especially after mentioning it doesn't look like an EE which are mutts [​IMG].

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by