Norwegian Jaerhorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heidiinak, Jul 18, 2011.

1. heidiinak

heidiinak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    I recently purchased a dozen Norwegian Jaerhorn eggs to set under 2 extremely broody banties that I have in my flock. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experiences with this breed. I have looked online and it seems like I just keep getting the same few paragraphs of info almost word for word no matter what site I go to. The little ones should be hatching out in about 13 days and I am excited to be able to add them into my mix. [​IMG]

2. Roo420

Roo420 New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    how the Jaerhorns doin? I live in the mountains in Washington state and am wanting to find a Breeder for them so curious how yours turned out and who you would suggest.

thanks

3. heidiinak

Apr 21, 2011
    Well it is now February and the Jaerhons are doing pretty good. I only have 5 left, 2 roosters and 3 hens. One of the roosters just crowed for the first time yesterday. I love the first few attempts at crowing! Makes me laugh every time I hear it [​IMG] These little chickens are some of the sweetest chickens I have. They love to be talked to and held. All I have to do is say "Hey chickens" and put my hand out and they hop right on for some lovin'.
    I had to move the youngsters into my garage halfway through November because it got too cold for them given their size. If I had it to do all over I would have hatched this breed much earlier in the summer, even late spring, so they would have been bigger and more mature come winter. Oh well, it worked out well for them because they lived in my heated garage until just a couple of days ago when I moved them into the big coop with the rest of the chickens. The Jaerhons are about the size of my little banty girls so hopefully they will hold their own out there with the bigger girls. Fingers Crossed!!

4. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Hi Heidi! What part of AK are you in? I'm in Anchorage. Did you get your eggs from Bonnie Brummet?

5. heidiinak

Apr 21, 2011
    I am in Wasilla. I can't remember the name of the lady I bought the eggs from, but I believe she lives in Chickaloon. I saw her ad on Alaskaslist and I met her at Petzoo during one of their Saturday swap meets last June. [​IMG]

6. heidiinak

Apr 21, 2011
    Hi. I checked with a friend of mine and confirmed that it was Bonnie who we bought the NJ eggs from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by