1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nose infection, or just a scratch?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lanies chicks, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Lanies chicks

Lanies chicks New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    Sunny California
    Hi everyone!

So, I have been raising poultry for the past 11 years, and I currently have a Bantam Modern Game with either a nose infection or she scrapped of the entire surface off her nostril. [​IMG] It really does not look very good.
    There is no blood. But her nose is pretty messed up. There is either a piece of cartalidge, bone, or hardened snot that is blocking the opening of the nostril. It is movable, but she really does not like it when I try to remove it.

Any advice? Thanks everyone. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'm hoping she is well and healed before the GCPF show in the beginning of January.

Here is a picture of her.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Somewhere in he past I believe someone else had a similar problem. They found out it was food that had hardened and was blocking the nares. You might try to soften it with warm water, and a few minutes later see if you can get it off.

3. Lanies chicks

Lanies chicks New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    Sunny California
    I will certainly try that.
    Thank you @Eggcessive !

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I believe that Seminolewind here on BYC also had this problem, but hers may have been a growth. She might see this thread and chime in.

5. Lanies chicks

Lanies chicks New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    Sunny California
    So, update:
    My hen is still having her nose issue. [​IMG] It appears to me that she has scrapped the whole side of her nostril off somehow and it became infected/swollen. I really don't know what to do for her. I've tried compresses, and Vet-RX.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by