Nose problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lacy Duckwing, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Hi. The other day I had noticed that my Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam hen seemed to have some breathing problem. I didn't think it was respiratory disease for the flock had good ventilation. The bantam (Lacy is her name) is a bit on the feral side, so I don't really hold her that much. This morning I picked up and noticed something was wrong with one of her nostrils. I took some pictures of her nose to show you guys. What do think it is and what can be done for her. She is 5 years old and is almost 6. My Mom suggested putting bag balm on it to soften things up so I've done that.

595861507.jpg

The other side to compare:

595861452.jpg

Diana_burns04 likes this.
  2. Chickenlover0810

Chickenlover0810 Chirping

Sep 5, 2019
    Michigan
    might be an injury, i will look it up later

Diana_burns04 and Lacy Duckwing like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would put some hydrogen peroxide or saline eye wash on a QTip to moisten the nostril, and clean any secretions with a wooden toothpick, but be careful not to damage her nostril. Repeat if not softened. It might take a couple of attempts to succeed. Feed and dirt mixed with secretions can block a nostril, and it can enlarge and completely block the air flow. Watch for any signs of a respiratory infection, but it may just be from feed getting stuck. The picture below is a blocked nostril from feed, dirt, and secretions.

upload_2019-11-19_9-32-40.jpeg

4. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Thank you for the advice. I'll try this.

5. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    @Eggcessive, me and my Mom did this with the hydrogen peroxide and it worked. Her nose is clean. Is there anything I should do as far as following up? You said:
    How would I know if she gets one and what can I do to avoid one? Thanks.

6. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Crowing

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Respiratory infection causes runny nose, sneezing, and/or puffed up sinuses around the ear and eye.

Eggcessive and Lacy Duckwing like this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, there should not be any more problems unless she gets food stuck in either nostril. She is most likely fine. If you should see her sneezing more than the occasional sneeze from dust or during eating, nasal drainage, or bubbles in an eye, then there could be a respiratory infection. Chicks with respiratory diseases usually act lethargic and sleepy as well.

Lacy Duckwing likes this.
  8. Chickenlover0810

Chickenlover0810 Chirping

Sep 5, 2019
    Michigan
    Ok so I found some stuff,the

Cholera- caused by bacteria, symptoms are sneezing, nasal discharge and coughing. There is no treatment will live for about a month

Infectious coryza- also caused by bacteria, symptoms are loss of appetite and water, nasal disgarge, swollen face and reddish foul smelling discharge from nose. treatment is Gallimycin, Vetstrep.

Infectious laryngotracheitis- symptoms are swollen sinuses, nasal discharge, coughing, breathing through mouth and watery eyes. There is no treatment you should cull or get flock vaccinated before anyone gets sick, but some chickens do survive if they don't survive they will only last a couple days

Hope this helps and these might not be what is wrong with lacy so DON'T worry good luck

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She doesn’t appear to have any symptoms except a slightly plugged nostril.

10. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    It apparently has been around for awhile. I found a picture of her that was taken in August that showed some of it, but wasn't as bad. I think it was what Eggcessive said that it was. I did what Eggcessive said to do, and now Lacy is doing good. Thanks for trying to diagnose her problem though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: