nose shell seems to be missing help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommiejamie, Jan 22, 2015.

1. mommiejamie

mommiejamie New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    pilot hill
    I have a polish chick which is about three months old and started to sneeze a few weeks ago. I was thinking that it had to do with me adding new shavings. So I ignored it hoping it would stop. Well it hasn't stopped sneezing and now it looks as if its is missing that shell that covers the nose!!! Please help I dont know what to do or what to expect. She eats fine and drinks fine I have started to give her hard boiled eggs to help with the sneezing but I cant find out anything else to help her please please please respond if you have any idea of what's happening and what I can do.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! So sorry it is under this circumstance, but we will gladly attempt to help you and your chick.

Can you take and post a photo of the bird so that we can see what you are seeing? It is often difficult to envision the actual injury/problem correctly based on a description which can lead to offering advice that is incorrect.

3. mommiejamie

mommiejamie New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    pilot hill
    Yes I just have to figure it out ;)

4. mommiejamie

mommiejamie New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    pilot hill
    [​IMG]

5. mommiejamie

mommiejamie New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    pilot hill
    There is snot now. A little chunk of snot crust on top I tried to get a good clear pic and clean her off but this is the best pic I got.

6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I think she has a respiratory infection...

7. mommiejamie

mommiejamie New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    pilot hill
    [​IMG]
    I think so too but would the cover of her nose come off or do you think that this is the way its supposed to be?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  8. hennible

I can't see anything abnormal in the picture so I'm not sure what you mean.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would very gently clean the crust away and take another photo so that we can see the area fully exposed for comparison.

10. hennible

That's a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by