Nostril blocked

lirpalyn

Chirping
Sep 18, 2020
Georgia
Today I noticed my 2-year-old Silkie slightly opening her mouth to breathe so I took a look at her and found her nostril is blocked. Not sure if it’s a tumor or infection? She’s behaving, eating , pooping normally. She doesn’t seem to be having any trouble breathing (no wheezing, raspiness, drainage) but needed to barely open her beak to get a full breath. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 324E0FD0-74C2-4742-BD80-DC0E22FF7B45.jpeg
    324E0FD0-74C2-4742-BD80-DC0E22FF7B45.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 28
Today I noticed my 2-year-old Silkie slightly opening her mouth to breathe so I took a look at her and found her nostril is blocked. Not sure if it’s a tumor or infection? She’s behaving, eating , pooping normally. She doesn’t seem to be having any trouble breathing (no wheezing, raspiness, drainage) but needed to barely open her beak to get a full breath. Any ideas?
Have you seen any lesions inside her mouth, or up under the roof of the upper beak? If not, that's good news.
IF you see lesions inside her mouth, DO NOT do the below procedure.

I suspect that she may have inhaled a feed granule or debris in her nostril. You use eyedroppersful of warm water to soften and loosen the debris. Then gently pick it out with a toothpick or the end of a paper clip or small tweezers. Continue with the warm water soaks as needed until her nostril is free and clear of debris.
It would be best to wrap her snuggly in a towel with her head exposed at one end in the towel. Tie her legs together so she cant kick. Then proceed working on her to remove the debris.

Back
Top Bottom