1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nostril comb and face very swollen and blistery looking - IMAGE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dfcest2006, Sep 7, 2010.

1. dfcest2006

dfcest2006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2010
    Hello everyone!
    My hen (her mom was a barred rock daddy some kind of game chicken) is 10 months old.
    She hatched 2 chicks 1.5 weeks ago and I had to move her to a 5'x5' pin because one of my other chickens killed one of the babies.
    She was in the pin with the baby until 4 days ago and I turned her and baby out because she looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    She didn't quite look this bad. this is today and her left eye is pretty swollen and I'm not sure what to do.
    I think she may have eaten some wet feed while in the pin as it has been being pretty rainy here in central FL.
    At first I thought maybe it was because she's always been free range and she attacked the grass like you wouldn't believe when I turned her out. However, she is getting worse, and I don't know what this might be...
    I have put some vet RX in the water.
    Please any information or advice would be GREATLY appriciated she's such a sweet girl and to top things off she lost her baby (I think a hawk) 2 day ago [​IMG]
    Thank you!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my, that looks like it could be fowl pox. I would isolate her, and give her vitamins and electrolites in the drinking water. It is contagious. Alot of chickens do get over it with time. I believe there is not a remedy for this. If you do a search of fowl pox, that would be the best bet....maybe there is some advice on how to handle it. There may be something you can do for your hen to make her more comfortable.

Good luck!

Sharon

3. dfcest2006

Sep 7, 2010
    Thank you!!
    I'm going to go pull her out of the yard right now... Thank you so much!!!

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Definitely looks like fowl pox. Iodine on the lesions to help dry them up. If it gets into her mouth, swab twice daily with original nasty tasting listerine. Keep her separated from other birds who are well; however, expect it to go through the flock; spread by mosquitoes and other biting bugs. Can also be spread by close contact. The scabs remain infectious for months or even years, so once the illness has run its course, clean and sanitize everything thoroughly. Starts as yellow nodules that then form scabs, which eventually heal and fall off. So long as it remains on the skin (dry pox) there are usually no lasting repercusions. However, if it invades the mucous membrane (wet pox) it forms diptheria-like thick cheesy lesions in the mouth/throat and/or airways. This can block feeding or breathing.

The listerine swabbings will help remove the cheesy gunk, just don't try to rip it all out at once as it will bleed. Listerine has antiviral and antifungal properties.

Spray for mosquitoes and remove any standing water; if there is some thta you cannot remove (ponds, animal water dishes, etc.) apply Mosquito Dunks. Apply mosquito repellant nightly to the birds or their coops.

5. dfcest2006

Sep 7, 2010
    Thank you for your advice!!!
    Unfortunately she got very lethargic and eyes were almost completely shut this evening [​IMG]
    My husband and I disgused it would be in the best intrest of the her and the flock to let her go...
    I just can't stand to see any of my animals suffer and think it was best for her...
    Thank you for the help and insight I will definately keep these treatments in mind if any of the other girls or boys show signs...
    Thank you again and God Bless!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by