Nostril inflammation

starlabs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
I have a new little duck whose nostrils are closing up and it's having a ard time breathing. I'm constantly give them new bedding several times a day because they wet their bedding down with water. I also let them swim in the bathtub so they are able to dip their heads under water to get clean.

I'm just wondering if this is an infection that's causing mucus buildup? Will an antibiotic help or do little ducklings usually end up dying if they have a respiratory infection?

Ducklings need something available all of the time in order to dunk their heads not just when they are able to swim a few times daily. This is likely the cause and you should remedy this ASAP in order to help this baby.

You should also have this one given a number of short, warm bathes to help unclog it's nares. This needs to be done with caution and the baby should be dried off afterwards.

Thanks for the reply. I failed to mention though that I do have water that they can dunk their heads in all the time. Do any of you medicate your ducks.

Thanks for the reply. I failed to mention though that I do have water that they can dunk their heads in all the time. Do any of you medicate your ducks.
It's risky especially when very young. But if you can get weight of the duckling and the right antibiotic you may have success or talking to a vet may give you an idea on how safe.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/mixing-medicine-for-small-flocks-of.html
What kind of bedding are you using? cedar can be toxic to ducklngs. temp in brooder?

Last edited:
Okay, I was going off of the info in your first post "I also let them swim in the bathtub so they are able to dip their heads under water to get clean."

Is the duckling showing any other symptoms? Sneezing, coughing, mucous from nostrils or eyes?

No, it seems really healthy, actually. It eats well. It loves to splash around. I did get some medication to put in its water this evening. I'm not going to do it yet, unless it looks sick. I really like the idea of putting it in warm water more than once though. I'll definitely try that. We also keep them inside the warm house. I also try and keep their bedding dry so they are laying in the wet after playing around in the water.

I'd definitely do whatever possible to get it's nares clean. Search for "spill proof duckling waterer" and you will find some ideas on things you can make to minimize splashing. I, personally, would avoid medication unless other symptoms start. But I only like to medicate when I know that it is the only optioin. I'm hoping that warm bathes a few times a day may allow anything in the nares to soften and baby can get them clear. Keep a close eye for any other symptoms. I hope all is well for you and baby.

I use wood chips produced for animal bedding and they are in the house where we keep it very warm. Maybe too warm. LOL. Yeah, I don't want to have to medicate unless absolutely necessary. As far as doing it though I'm an intern pharmacist and I've just taken a course in Veterinarian Pharmacology so I'm not absolutely opposed either, however getting advice from people who already own ducks is invaluable. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom