not 911 but feed back PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have made a couple of post concerning a Buff that is not eating /drinking and poops dark green poo. She is still in the "hospital" (guest bath[​IMG]) holding her own but I must get some food down her today. Yesterday I noticed a J.G. just sitting. I'll skip the details but by 9:00 p.m. he was dead. [​IMG] I keep the pens very clean, change water 2-3 times a day. BUT (there is always a but) I have had a HORRIBLE problem with flys. I have NEVER seen flys this bad in my life. I have 5 fly strips out ~ have to change every 2 days and 2 traps. From what I have researched I think there may be a different illness with each chicken. Is it possible that drop dead J.G. contracted botulism from the flys and Buffie may have coccidisos ~ which I can't quite believe since she has (mostly) been on medicated feed. I started treating her for coccidisos last night. I really think she has a bad intestinal track infection. There is NO blood in her stool just dark green watery poo.
    ANY ideas or feed back would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want to lose Little Pumpkin. I'm short on hens already. Feed back PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,[​IMG] THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.
    P.S. One of the things I read about botulism is the feathers fall out easly. J.G.'s were. Buffies not.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Since you have already started treatment for coccidia, you should see some improvement in 24-48 hours IF your hen is actually drinking water. You should treat the entire flock.

My experience with medicated feed has been that several
    strains of coccidia are resistant to what ever is in the feed.

Have you wormed your flock recently? There are lots of posts about worming chickens and what the best medicines are to use.

Good luck and be sure to keep updates coming.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Botulism can come from decaying animals, insects, etc and molds. With a lot of flies around, you probably have at least some rotting stuff around (?), so I agree that botulism may have been the cause of your J.G. dying--droopiness and feather loss are characteristic signs of botulism. If you notice a bird acting like that again, get it to drink some of one of these two flushes:

Molasses Flush:
    4 tablespoons molasses per quart of drinking water given for no more than 8 hours.
    Epsom Salts Flush:
    1 teaspoon Epsom Salts in 1/2 cup of drinking water given for 3 days or until symptoms lessen. You usually have to force the bird to drink this, as they dislike the taste of Epsom Salts.

As for Buffie, how long have you been treating her with Corid, and in what dosage? Even birds on medicated feed can get Coccidiosis. Improvement, if it is Coccidiosis, should be seen after 1-3 days of the correct Corid treatment. If there is no improvement, some sort of infection is probable.

I would recommend purchasing an antibiotic, like oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.) or Tylan50 injectable and giving it to her. The oxytetracycline dosage varies depending on the product; I do know that the tetroxy dosage is 1/2 teaspoon/quart of drinking water for 7-14 days. The Tylan50 injectable dosage is 1cc for large-fowl injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Do not give dairy products during treatment with antibiotics; vitamins are fine.

The green droppings are usually a sign of a bird not eating much (other than eating grass clippings, etc.). If at all possible, you need to get Buffie to eat something--try giving her treats (bread, moistened feed, mealworms, etc.). You may have to tube feed or force her to eat somehow if she won't eat on her own.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old are your chickens? Chicks on medicated feed can still have an overload/outbreak of Coccidiosis,there does not have to be blood in poop,i believe only two strains have blood as a symptom. Green poop is b/c she is not eating,she is starving,you definitely need to get food into her. You may want to consider tube feeding her. Any issues with her crop,meaning if she is not eating it should be empty,if it is not,she may have an impacted crop. As for roo,he may have had symptoms that you did not notice,chickens hide all illness/injuries,they have to,illness equals death in the bird world.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I agree with above post. tube feeding will help greatly. You can even use clean fish air hose as a tube its about the right size. The vet told me this. You will want to get a food by Kaytee called Exact. It flows nicely in the syringe and its nutritionally sound with omegas and probotic. Its a powdered baby bird food. just add water and place in feeding syringe. you can get the syringes from most farm supply stores like tractor supply. You insert the tube I oil the tube first with food oil then place the syringe on top of the tube and the food will flow from the syringe down the
    tube into the crop. Most birds die from lack of nutrition when they are ill and tube feeding will keep up there strength. Its very important. I understand it can be nerving to do at first but you will be a pro at it in no time. Hope this helps you out. Here is a picture of the food you will want. Best wishes

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    [​IMG]

7. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Hey everyone, THNAKS for all the info. I am off to town for the Kaytee as soon as I let the horses out. Not worms, have done a fecal float with microscope.. Luckly I have a very small catherter used for a sick cat. Tubed the Corid last night. Buff Pumpkin is 6 months old. Wormed everyone with a wormer ~ don't remember the name ~ that covers more that Wazine recently. We have had some rain and the weather has been hot. Think that exploded the fly population. THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU for all your suggestions. I am going to do the Molasses as soon as I get back from town then give her the Kaytee. Thanks for the reminder - no dairy with anitbotics. Knew that but had forgotten. Rambleing - nervious - sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by