Not a blue Orp ...no way [SOLVED PG 3]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ellie, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Ok, the breeder has blue and splash orps, black cochins and Marans. I got eggs from her and this one was marked blue orp. Ok, I know that is not a blue orpington, and look at the Marans feet. But what the heck? It does not look like the Marans that I have from her before. The feet do but not the body...too big.

What do you think and what gender?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, she isn't an Orp, at least not a pure one. Could be someone jumped the fence. She may be a cross, judging from the feathered legs, but I'm not really sure. Maybe someone else can offer something more conclusive. Could be a Marans, but I don't have those myself.

From that angle, I can't see any pointy saddle feathers, so looks pullet-y in that picture--you'd need a different angle to tell about that, IMO. The comb isn't conclusive since Marans hens have large ones.

3. ferniebubba64

ferniebubba64 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Looks like a Black Marans to me

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:It looks like a Rooster to me, but its not an Orpington or Cochin, I don't know about Marans.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A cochin loved an Orp!

6. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Here is a side view, Cyn .

[​IMG]

and here is a Marans from the same breeder.

[​IMG]

7. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Black Marans hen to me, which could easily be a cross. Will know when she lays an egg hopefully.

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Interesting... she breeds copper marans. I have two and have had two of the roosters, but had to cull them. The Wade or Jean wade line...something like that.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I thought your might be A Rooster mainly because of the comb and the really big legs, but I was looking online for photos to compare because I know nothing about the breed, turns out all the photos I saw all had huge legs? Like all the Hens and Roosters were all walking around on tree stumps. None of the pictures came with ages but the hens combs seemed smaller a bit. But they are beautiful birds though. [​IMG]

10. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    maran:)
    she looks just like my black sexling without the red/orange!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by