Not a chicken but a dog. needs some type of pain med*UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeypoo, May 17, 2010.

1. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    He's a chinese crested so he's a little guy. im not sure what to give him. i think when he was wrestling with the other dogs he got hurt up in his hip. he doesn't want to go outside and i have to carry him down our steps and back. he used to run like the wind.. now he doesn't want to even come out of his kennel. Ok. now what can i give him for meds? and how much? i heard a childrens Bayer.. but im not sure on doseage. I love my little man and i hate to see him not wanting to go outside to pee. Thanks for any help
    [​IMG]
    Sue

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    He may have torn something, like his ACL, I would take him to the vet just to be sure, I would not give a tiny dog like that any kind of human meds without an OK from a vet.
    If it's his ACL, they need surgery and there is a 6 week recovery from that. If he's not coming out of his kennel, that is not good

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You can give them a baby asprin, one time a day. (I think it has 81 mg) It really does help. I have a little pom, Cosmo, and he's got bad joints. Anyhow, I feed him these glynclosamine supplements I get from the vet, he gets one per day, and he is so much better. Apparently, little dogs are prone to having bad knees and such.

Anyhow, the vet treats are expensive, so I read the label, and Purina has these treats called "Better than Ears" in the peanut butter flavor that say (Hip and Joint), and I give him one of those per day, and he just loves thim and it really helps his joints!

Good luck with your little fellow!

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If he's hurt that bad he really needs to see a vet. In the meantime, please do NOT give him ibuprofen (Advil) or acetominophen (Tylenol) as both are toxic to dogs. Aspirin can be given, but realize that prolonged use (more than a day or 2) can lead to stomach ulcers and bleeding problems.

5. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I was reading up on that a bit and i thought it would be best to ask you guys. if he continues after a day or more of this then to the vet he goes. he doesn't want to be messed with so when the puppy starts after him he just turns his back on him. so i wil be giving him the Bayer.. aspirin. I knew not ot give tylenol or ibuprofin. i couldnt remember what my mom gave for dosage on the bayer. she had a jack russell who got a pill every day for her joints. i will also be looking into the glucosamine. i dont' like having a pet on the aspirin regime.
    thanks so much. There is a reason i love you guys [​IMG]

Oh. they have ACLs in their back legs? his shoulders(front legs) aren't bothering him. but i will lure him out of his kennel with a treat and give him the aspirin.
    Thanks so much
    Sue

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Chinese Crested are so tiny, I think I'd confer with your vet (even just over the phone) before I gave him any aspirin, even a baby aspirin. Sounds to me like he is going to need to go in and get checked out, though.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Chickey, my little Pom, Cosmo, had some really bad days with his joints (back leg). Anyhow, we used to go for walks daily, and now he can't go for walks anymore because it's too much for him. He's only five, but as long as I give him those glynclosamine greats, he does great! I don't even have to give him the asprin. I think it takes a week or two before you'll notice the difference with the treats.

I was petrified that he may need put to sleep because surgery for his condition (luxating patellas) on his back legs, was super expensive, and my family can't afford that. But now that he's on those supplements, you would never know he had a problem. He runs and jumps and everything......but still no more walks. Lost my walkin' buddy. (sigh)

Again, good luck!

8. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I wouldn't give anything to a dog without consulting a vet. Human meds are meant for humans. Dogs metabolize drugs much slower than humans. When a vet prescribes something they say not to give it more than once every 3 days and that's because it takes them 3 days to metabolize it. If you give more than that then you have a toxic buildup and the end result can be death. I would call them and see what they say. Groomers are also knowledgeable in this area and they can be of help as well. Good luck. [​IMG]

9. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    I agree, check with your vet first...but when I worked for my vet ages ago, he suggested coated aspirin, and given with food, to avoid any stomach upset. I also agree that he should go to the vet so you know what you're dealing with. If after 24 hours, he still is in that much pain, you need to know why. Also, if he's doing further damage, it's going to be harder to fix...

Good luck, cresteds are sweet little dogs...BTW, they are on the cover of the latest issue of Dog Fancy magazine in case you want to check it out.

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Dogs have ACLs (Anterior Cruciate Ligaments) in the knees, not in the shoulders. They're the same as CCLs (Cranial Cruciate Ligaments), but people just use different terms for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by