Not a chicken, but this macaw still needs a new home *PHOTOS ADDED*

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by 4H kids and mom, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Please help me find a home for Jelly. If you are interested, or know someone who might be, please email me at [email protected]

I am sad as I type this, but I need to find a new home for my scarlet macaw, Jelly. [​IMG] I love her dearly, but for many reasons, she just needs a new home.

Jelly is 2 years old, and an absolute angel. She is a great speaker and her vocabulary includes: Hi, Hello, PrettyGirl, Whosa PrettyGirl, I love you, Buh-Bye, Lemme Out, Peek-a-Boo, Com 'ere, Step up!, Wake up, Wake up Sleepyhead, Mornin', Mmmmm, Wansome, I wansome, Perdy Jelly, Go Jelly!, Get 'em!, No no you bad dog!, Get da puppy!, Good girl, Chevy (our dog) No!, Mmmm 'Nana (for banana), Tickles, More tickles, and she sings parts of Somewhere Over the Rainbow when you sing it to her, she "coughs" a human cough, laughs a couple different 'human' laughs as well as her own funky macaw laugh, and she makes a few 'obscene' noises that my lovely 7 year old son was kind enough to teach her (belches, and makes a discusting puking noise at the worst times! lol).

She is very sweet, but like all macaws, she is moody and takes time to get to know people. We have had her for most of the 2 years of her life, and she is quite bonded with me. I can roll her over and "tickle" her tummy to which she laughs and says "More tickle". She follows me around the house and calls to me when I leave the room ("Buh-Bye" when I leave and then "Com 'ere" over and over until I return or she occupies herself with something else to do.) She loves to go for walks and car rides, is great with other pets and loves to show off for kids (though I never let children handle her as she is still in her "beaky" baby macaw phase.)

She is generally very good, but can get "naughty" at times, like any "human" toddler. She will 'talk back' to you, test you, or try to yell louder than you (if you are yelling at your kids for instance....a common occurance here! lol) and likes to be the center of attention. If you aren't firm, or show any weakness, she picks up on it and you'll have trouble on your hands! Hence the reason my DH does not handle her. He is too skittish, and she knows it, though she loves him and calls to him.

She comes with a HUGE-mungo cage I bought at a bird fair in March of this year for $800, and the play stand that matches it (bought the same day for $300). We paid $1100 for her as a baby (just to give you an idea). She has been to the vet many times, and is UTD on vaccines. We also have all paperwork on her. She is banded for indentification (you would get that paperwork also). She is DNA'd a female (cost another $150, though I would rather not see her go into a 'breeding' type situation. She is meant to be a pet.). I took her in to the vet in May to be microchipped, but have not registered the chip yet, so the new owners could do that. She comes with a months supply of food, her cage, stand, and all of her toys, treats, her harness and diapers...everything. Over $2500 put into her. I am asking $1500 or best offer.

I DO ask that the person taking her know about macaws. They can be moody and loud, and someone that doesn't understand them, just wouldn't, well, understand. Anyway, I know all us animal folk are connected here, so thought I'd post about her and see if I can't find her a nice home with someone from my favorite forum. Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. homesteader34

homesteader34 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am VERY interested! When my husband gets home tonight I will talk to him about it. He has been wanting one for years. Ill get back with you by tomorrow, on what he says.[​IMG]

3. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Oh! I am SO happy! I didnt think anyone would even respond, let alone find someone interested so soon! Thank you for easing my mind a little! I will happily email photos or post them here if you'd like. Just let me know. Thank you for making my day a little brighter! [​IMG]

I also forgot to add in the original post that she is in perfect feather and has never been a plucker, even if the attention I could give to her changed in amount or frequency <hangs head shamefully and blushes> so you would be getting a geogious bird. I will upload some photos real quick and post them here for you. She is a beauty and a real doll. I will miss her terribly.... [​IMG] But, it would be easier to know she went to someone here that I could talk to, and get updates from! [​IMG]

4. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    As promised, here are some photos. I took the first few today while I sat here (she's in her cage now behind me) and the other 3 were taken awhile ago. I'm pretty sure the dates are on them. I just wanted you to see that she is just as perdy today as she was months ago, and even last year.

These were when we lived in our old house (and her 'old' cage):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are from today (and in her 'new' cage-about twice the size of her old one!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was bein silly and didnt want me to get a "normal" photo of her! lol Silly bird!

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Beautiful bird-hope she gets a good home soon! My kids and I enjoyed your photos-she has LOTS of personality [​IMG]

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    She is beautiful!!! I hope you find a good home for her soon!!

7. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    homesteader34....did you get a chance to talk with your DH yet about Jelly? I'd really love her to go to someone who has been waiting so long for such a pretty bird. Plus, I know you from around here, so I could hear all about her. That would make me feel better about the whole thing too.

Also, talked to MY DH and he said we could possibly ship her if you didnt want to make a road trip up. We looked into it and it costs about $100. She already has a crate that we got her shipped to US in almost 2 years ago, so its approved for air travel and shipping. But, if you did want to come up, that would be great too! We could have a BBQ and you could meet the All Mighty ChickenDuck in PERSON! Wow! You'd have some braggin rights on this forum then! lol [​IMG]

8. homesteader34

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I regret to say my husband said we needed to wait. We are remodeling right now and going through issues protecting our kids and chickens outside from dogs. We have decided to invest in a fence around our house. My husband hates hisself right now. He just saw the beautiful pictures and fell in love. She is well worth the cost and more. Is there a deadline by when you need her gone? My husband gets paid for a big contract the end of this month. We would probaly be able to do it then. But right now all our funds are invested in remodeling and now going to get a fence. Im sure she will be sold by then. Please keep us updated on her....[​IMG]

9. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    There is no real hurry. The only real reason I dont want it to drag on is that it will be harder on me in the long run..but I'll live. I'd rather see her in the best home possible than rush into it. My DH says my deadline is around the 20th but I could push him on that too. I am glad your DH likes her. She is such a doll. Gosh I'll miss her so... But with the goats and guineas, and ducks, geese, and chickens plus the house and kids and my day care kids and our indoor pets....I just feel like I can not give her all the devotion she needs and deserves. [​IMG] I dont want her to suffer. I just want the best for her.

I will keep you updated on her, and I'll take good photos of her cage and stand and things for you too as we get towards that time, if you want. I dont really want to just "sell" her to the first person with the cash, just so you know. The money isn't really an issue. All the money is for is to kind of reimberse some of what we just paid for her cage and things and to help ensure her a home that can give her what we cant right now. I've already made up my mind that I want her to go to you. We can wait. [​IMG] No hurry.

10. homesteader34

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thank you , that is so nice. I will also keep you posted on our status. Maybe we can swing it earlier. But if something happens and you do find her a good home, dont let us be the reason not to go through with it. Oh , I also wanted to mention that my husband travels alot. So if we are able to get her, picking her up would be no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by