Not a chicken coop, but it's for some birds. pics inside.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tknjk, Feb 13, 2009.

1. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Well after a long time toiling over it I finally decided to do it. I'm gonna raise quail.
    I don't own an incubator, or anything quail related yet, but I'm gonna build the quail
    hutch now, and get my bator next month. As you can see in the pics I am building
    it up off the ground. there will be 3 compartments each 2'x3' you can see them in
    the pic seperated by the 2x4's. there will be a solid wall between each compartment
    and I am going to build little sliding doors on each, so if I decide to the compartments
    can all be interconnected. here is what I have so far. I'm going back out to do some more
    work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I so have something just like that! I would send pics but I will forget and so if I remember I will! I put a raised roof thingy over mine...I mainly have it for good weather! what type quail are you gonna raise? I have coturnix and will have button. I go through Abilene to hunt on my father-in-law's lease...where I lost my ring [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    good job.

4. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Very nice! Thanks for the idea, btw. I will also be building one just like that very soon, please keep us updated with the coop. Thanks!

5. tknjk

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Got a little more done, and I'm calling it quits until next Wednesday when I'm off work again.
    I got the partitions done, and the back wall. I guess I need to do a little more research, and
    decide weather or not to put solid walls on the sides, and partitions, or just use some small
    chickenwire so it gets more air. I guess if it gets really cold I can wrap it in a tarp. I live in TX
    though so I don't think I have to worry about that much. Either way here is the last of my
    progress until Wed. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Nice... I'm still planning mine. I will post pics once I start working on it, but it will probably be a while before I get down to it. Btw, what's the distance between the hardware cloth you're using? I have some hardware cloths with 1 square inch gaps, but I'm not sure if that's too big for the bottom.

Edit: Relative to the 2'x4's in your pics, I'm guessing those gaps in the hardware cloth must be approximately .5"-.75"?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    NICE!

8. tknjk

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Quote:You know I don't remember. I know they are small enough to where I can't stick my pinky through them. It was just about the smallest thing they had. Which by the way I can't believe how expensive this stuff is. I think there was one smaller, and that was it.

9. tknjk

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Quote:I really don't know what kind I'm gonna raise. I'm trying to find out if I need a permit for Coturnix. I am pretty sure you need one for bobwhite here in Texas. Either way the permit shouldn't cost more than $20.00 or so, but If you don't have to have one for coturnix then thats what I am going to start out with.

10. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    That looks like standard 1/4" hardware cloth. Remember Quail have small feet. So anything larger than that will allow their feet to slip through, and possible predators to grab them. I would also put some kind of footing under the legs to help prevent ground moisture from seeping up the legs and causing them to rot out. To also help keep predators and vermin from crawling up the legs to your cages, you can wrap them in tin metal, this will prevent mice and rats at least from getting up in your pens from the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by